It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:12 am

Text Size

chonda

Classifieds for karts, kart parts and accessories.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

chonda

Postby Clark Houser » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Does anyone know of a link to a good deal on a chonda motor or chassis?
Clark Houser

Re: chonda

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Clark,

You can buy a Chonda engine from Harbor Freight, I think they are $129.99 right now. Be sure & also purchase the $19.99 2-year extended warranty. They will replace your engine no questions asked if it fails within 2 years.

My husband sells them race ready (governor & oil sensor removed, ARC Racing Kit installed). He charges $100 labor plus the cost of the engine & parts.

Call John Ray, the club president, I think he has some used chassis for sale 214-357-0545

I see that Mike Urbanski also has a chassis for sale in the classified section of this forum.

If you have any questions about the Chonda class my husband is the class mentor & you are welcome to post here or call us anytime 972-462-8393.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Mike Urbanski » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Right now there is a coupon out for $109 a motor. It came in the circular that came out last week and is good till 7/29/10. I only have one though. You might be able to talk to the store and use the 20% to get it even cheaper.
Mike Urbanski

Postby Clark Houser » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Alright, thank you all for every thing.
Clark Houser

Postby Alex Cruz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:40 pm

its on front page now. price reduced.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-ge ... 66015.html
Alex Cruz
NTK Member

Postby Clark Houser » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:09 pm

ok and does anyone know about how much it would cost to buy the engine and all the parts and make it race ready?
Clark Houser

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Alex,

That is pretty cheap. Everyone should be able to afford one of those!

The Chonda class is growing and is going to be a lot of fun when we get a large field of them. :D
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Clark,

NTK requires the use of the ARC Racing Kit & the Max Torque clutch http://www.arcracing.com

We carry all the necessary parts & have them available for sale at the track & at our shop.

Here is our Chonda Parts Price List

If you don't want to buy the parts & build it yourself we build the engines & sell them race ready for the cost of the parts plus $100 for labor

Here is our Engine Package Price List

Chonda Rules with links to videos on how to get your Chonda race ready if you prefer to build it yourself.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Clark Houser » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Well after buying all of that is it any cheaper in the end than just buying a kt100?
Clark Houser

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Clutch alone for a KT100 is at least $300.
A Max Torque clutch for a Chonda is $52

You need a starter for a KT100 which is about $100 - $250?
The starter is built into the Chonda.

If you kill your engine after spinning out in a KT100 (and believe me you will do that MANY times when you are learning to drive one) you will have to hike back to the pits to get your heavy starter & lug it back to the kart or get someone to bring it out to you to get you started again. After doing that several times you will learn how to spin out & usually be able to keep it running. For some reason the spins often occur at turn 7, the furthest from the pits. :(

If you add up everything you need for a KT100 yes, it is a lot cheaper.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Clark Houser » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense now thank you! :D
Clark Houser

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 pm

One advantage of the Chonda is the cost & also the low maintenance.

If you just want to have fun & learn to drive the Chonda is a great package to get started in.

I used to race Yamaha KT100 & my boys raced them for years. I don't miss taking my KT100 clutch apart after every race & checking & adjusting it. I have raced my Chonda at all the club races & the SWRC regional races & have not touched my clutch. :D

I would like to race my KT100 again but my husband says "No!" he doesn't want to lug the starter out when I spin out & kill it & he doesn't want to work on the engine either every few races. If you race a KT100 you will either have to learn how to build the engine or pay an engine builder.

All I have done to my Chonda is change the oil (very easy) & changed the valve springs ($2 each) & adjusted the valve clearance a couple of times before a regional race. I have adjusted my brakes (normal wear & maintenance).

The Chonda is a great entry level package. After you race it a season & learn to drive you will know if you want to invest more time & money into a KT100 or other engine package.

I think the more entries we have in that class the more fun it is going to be. I hope the fields are really big by the end of the summer.

It is not as fast as the other classes but then all the other drivers in the class have the same horsepower & it really is down to the driving skills.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Clark Houser » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Ok,thank you. If anyone has a race ready kart and are willing to sell it I would also apreciate that. Also yani, is there any kind of prize money for the class?
Clark Houser

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 pm

All the classes race for the same Booty!

Ribbons (1st thru 3rd) on raceday.

Trophies for each series (spring. Summer & fall)

Bragging rights to Class Champion title & trophies at year end (points from spring, summer & fall series are combined)

Also the top 3 in each class get a cheque at year end. The bigger the class entry count for the year the bigger the cheques.

I think you have to race 50 percent of races to be eligible for ye awards. Not sure I'm in the car & can't check the rules
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Carlos Perez » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Clark,

I am newbie in karting and found the chonda class the perfect place to learn. When I say newbie I mean zero knowledge (from how to start it!! :oops: ).

Unless you have some knowledge, I recommend you to get a race ready package ( at least the engine). I got mine from the Gaddy's and so far, after 4 races, zero problems (Thanks again!!!).

What Yaani Mai says it's true, the maintenance is none compared to other classes, yes, less HP, RPM'S, speed, etc, but believe me it is hard!

I recommend you to visit us at the track and ask as many questions you may have, from the chondas to the KT100's so you feel comfortable before deciding. You will be surprised how friendly everybody is. If you decide to go with another package, great!! just ask, ask ask. I am happy with the chondas and will stay here for a while... ( or when my fellow drivers kick me out! jeje)

If you come for summer 4, stop by and say Hi!. I have the #24.

Carlos
Carlos Perez
NTK Member

Return to Kart Classifieds