It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 am

Text Size

KIDS

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

KIDS

Postby Daniel Young » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:44 am

Hi,
I just signed up here. I live in NorthWest LA (Shreveport). I will be moving back to CA here soon and I know the is plenty of racing around there.

Question is how do I and What do I need to do to get my kids racing? Ages 7 and 4. I figure I sign them up for a weekend school this summer and see how they take to it before I go out and buy a kart.

Am I on the right track? Should I try another route? I'll take any advise.

-Thanks!
Daniel Young

Postby Daniel Young » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:22 am

also, where could I find a school? Perferably somewhere close (5-6hr drive from Shreveport, LA)
Daniel Young

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:16 am

Daniel,

I would take the kids to a race to watch & visit with the other drivers their age.

I think a driving class is an excellent way to introduce them to karting & get a feel of whether they will like it.

Racing in the Kid Kart class doesn't start till they turn 5 but they can get in a kart & practice non competitively before then. You can also teach them what the flags mean and driving lines before they even get in a kart.

7 is a great age to start also as it is the age that kids move up from the Kid Kart class to the junior & cadet classes.

A lot of parents purchase used equipment first to see if their kids like it before investing more in the sport.

I would visit a local track where you will be living & ask lots of questions & see what classes are popular there for your kids ages and which brand karts have track support by the local kart shops.

If you are going to be living in CA there are lots of tracks you can visit, go to a few.

It really is a bonding experience for many families, where the whole family makes up the team and everyone in the family can participate from making sandwiches & packing drinks to wrenching & coaching to driving. You couldn't pick a better sport to teach your kids about good sportsmanship, team work, mechanics & engineering (kart set-up). The kids make a lot of friends in their class & it is a very social sport with many great families involved. It's also a sport that girls can do as well as boys in.

Karting was very helpful to us in our kids teen years when a lot of kids would rather be with their friends & not with their parents. They couldn't do it without us so we spent a lot of time together.

Good Luck with your families venture into karting.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Kids learning karting

Postby Herman Huang » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi,

My son (almost 7 years old) loves racing. I am wondering how I can get my son started karting. I myself don't know anything about karting or racing.

I live in Plano. Is there racing school, private trainer/instructor, or a mentor who can guide my son into karting?

I would like to fulfill my son's interest but don't know how to do it. I would appreciate if anyone can provide some guidance or information.

Thanks,
Herman Huang
Herman Huang

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Herman,

The local racing school doesn't have karts small enough for your son yet. www.truracing.biz

Let me ask someone else that might be able to help you. I think I know someone that has a kid kart that gives instruction.

Yaani-Mai
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to General Karting