It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Text Size

NEW QUALIFYING PROCEDURE AND 2009 SAFETY TECH!!!

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

NEW QUALIFYING PROCEDURE AND 2009 SAFETY TECH!!!

Postby Bob Preston » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:29 am

ALL RACERS & DADS,

Please be advised that ALL karts will need to have a fresh safety tech to start the season. Please arrive at the tech barn early enough to get this completed before the drivers meeting. Please do not wait until the last minute as Bob will be overloaded and you may miss qualifying.
We are also starting our new qualifying procedure that was voted in at the rules meeting. Please review the included rule below and be prepared. If we all are informed and work together this will go very smooth on the first day! This should give you more laps on the clock in a shorter time period per group. Be at the grid on time to be sure you get the spot you have on the grid sheet. Once the karts hit the ground at the grid you may be starting in the back for the Q-session if you are late.

1.3.23 QUALIFYING: Karts will qualify during a five (5) minute lapping session for each group. Qualifying groups will be a class or classes as grouped for racing. Procedure will be to exit the pit upon the start signal from the race official, then the racer may make as many laps as possible until the checkered flag is presented by the race official, then racer must exit the track. If the racer chooses to exit the track prior to the checkered flag, they will not be allowed to return to the qualifying session (no hot pit). When the racer exits the track from the qualifying session racer must proceed directly to scales. In the event of a tie, the driver with the fastest second lap will get the starting position, if still tied the third lap will determine the starting position. In the event there is still a tie, then the driver who set their fast lap earliest of their three laps will be awarded the
position. The Race Director has the discretion to authorize additional laps in the event an incident or event (scoring malfunction; kart off causing a yellow flag, etc) would penalize the qualifying karts in relation to other karts that may have already, or have not yet, qualified. In the event that a kart does go off and causes a yellow or red flag during qualifying, that kart/driver may not participate in the additional laps granted by the Race Director.
Bob Preston

2009 Qualifying Procedure

Postby Gina French » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:18 pm

Bob,

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to be nit-picky......
In your explaination of the new qualifying procedure, you state, "Be at the grid on time to be sure you get the spot you have on the grid sheet". The rule states nothing about having to line up according to the qualifying grid sheet. During the discussion about this rule at the rules meeting the consensus was to have it 'first-come-first-served' hoping this would get drivers to the grid early.The purpose of the qualifying grid sheet is simply verification for the grid steward on who the drivers are in each class and for the drivers to make sure they have been placed in the correct class (exception being Kid Karts). Everytime I have been on the grid the question comes up about how drivers have to line up for qualifying, I thought this clarification may make things run even smoother. Or am I way off base here?????

Gina French
Racer Mom
NTK Track Announcer
Gina French

Postby Bob Preston » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:08 am

Gina,
That does explain some of my (and others) confusion that you mentioned. Its not in the rules either way and I have never heard that we had a set policy, rather more like RD's choice. Having been around the track a couple of years I was still not sure about the grid lineup sheets. I made the assumption that if there are several karts there at the grid that it may be dificult to tell who was first come to be first served so the random grid sheets would settle any potential issues, now that the first spot may mean a little more than it used to.
I just read an email that indicated the RD was going with first come first served single file.
My intent on the post was to be sure everyone was aware that the Q-session changed & to review the rule and I am sure we will work out the details on Sunday.
Regards,
Bob Preston
Bob Preston

Postby John Flores » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:36 am

Well I think we all want things to run smoother. I am in favor of the new qualifying process. The concern I have is how do we think this " first come first serve" is going to work? I think there may be some issues at the grid as to who is/was there first, second and so on. I would propose some sort of way to set the grid for qualifying. One way would be to use the previous races finishing positions or fastest times. Another would be to draw grid positions from a hat. If first come first serve is the way we will do this then I would suggest at a minimum setting up a lane that we have to line up in before we grid instead of just showing up and............
Anyway thats my 2 cents worth, I hope all goes well.

John
John Flores

Postby Bob Preston » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:51 am

I think we are headed down the right path here by discussing this so that a policy can be set & followed consistantly.
This is a procedures rule so once we have it figured out, I (or any member) can propose changes, if needed, at the next club meeting to get them voted in/out of the rule.
I do have a minor typo to correct in the tie break portion anyway.
Regards,
BP
Bob Preston

Timing

Postby James Freeman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am

All,

This system is simple and works nearly the same all over the country.
Show up within the allotted time and run as many or as few laps as you want. No order necessary. The first kart on the grid goes out first.
If someone needs spacing, they raise their hand and slow.

Jim
James Freeman

Postby George Kraus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:05 pm

All,
The Grid Steward will be the person to determine the exact going out order. :o
Len Bara will be the Grid Steward. He's been a Kart racer forever. Ex race director. He knows what's going on, not his first race.
Surely we can do this with out any issues.
First come, first out, single line. ( one kart at a time leaving the Grid )
If you give up your place in line you go to the back. If you are holding other karts up by waiting on the grid you will be passed over and go to the end of the line.
Time starts when the first kart goes past the starting line.
Will go out in the normal race order. Jr's before Sr's, Club before RMAX.
A reasonable gap leaving the pits is expected.
Run untill the checkered flag.
Extended time MIGHT be allowed for yellow flag issue. The kart or karts that caused the yellow or red flag condition WILL NOT be allowed to participate in the additional laps granted.
No "cut throughs" on the short track.

Race Director Spring #1
George Kraus
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Return to General Karting