It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:16 am

Text Size

New to karting please help!!!

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

New to karting please help!!!

Postby Jacob Baker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:37 pm

I am new to karting it started out as me and some of my friends were going to buy some karts and race them in a parking lot, but i bought a roller and they didn't. I really want to race karts but have no idea what i am getting myself into. I am 6'2" 220 and i have a Tony Kart Mitox rolling chasis. I have been doing research and i thing a yamaha kt100 class would be best for me, but i don't know anything about the pipes or anything really. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a motor. I also want to know when the next time ya'll are racing so i can come out and watch and talk to some people. Please help.
Jacob Baker

Re: New to karting please help!!!

Postby Bob Preston » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Jacob wrote:
"I also want to know when the next time ya'll are racing so i can come out and watch and talk to some people."

Jacob,
You have prescribed the best thing you can do above. Come out during practices or race days and get a feel for what you are cormfortible with and what class will give you the competition level you are looking for.
We race next on Saturday the 17th of October. Hope to see you there.

Regards,
Bob Preston
Bob Preston

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:21 am

Jacob,

We offer "Arrive and Drives" for people who are interested in karting such as yourself. Call me when you can to discuss further.

Mike Jones
www.thekartshop.net
214-882-6823
Mike Jones
www.dallaskartingcomplex.com
http://www.thekartshop.net
214-882-6823
Sales, Service, Driver Coaching

"Loving the smell of burnt castor for over 30 years"
Mike Jones

Postby Bob Schabel » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Jacob, send me an email at bobschabel@yahoo.com and I will send you back free passes into the next race of your chosing.
Bob schabel, NTK Vice-President
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Michael Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi Jacob,

Turning up at the race mentioned on your thread would be a great place to go to meet some people and see what the racing is about at NTK.

I think you are on the right track in regards to the Yamaha 100cc engine. There is a class that is ran at NTK called Yamaha Senior Sportsman (or something to that extent) that uses the Yamaha 100cc engine you mentioned but utilizes a 4 hole exhaust muffler. This muffler is compulsary in this class and it takes the expansion chamber out of the equation.

Used Yamaha 100cc engines can be bought used for around $400 and up. A new engines runs about $1,200. Once you get ahold of one you will need a clutch, engine mount and external starter for the motor. The top engine builder in the area is SRS Engines and you can check them out along with some of their tutorials at at http://www.srsengines.com. John is the owner and a good source for knowledge on these engines.

A good place to find a Yamaha kt100 engine is here on the NTK boards by posting that you are looking for one and see what responses you get. You might find a sweet deal from someone who is moving to a different category and looking to unload a good motor.

Best wishes, welcome to NTK.

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

Postby Mike Engstrom » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 am

Hey Jacob, I've got a used KT 100, motor mount,can or pipe exhaust,clutch, everything to get ya setup, all used stuff to save money and get started. Give me a call here at the shop, 817-638-5278
Mike Engstrom

Return to General Karting