It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Text Size

New Here

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

New Here

Postby Mike Urbanski » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Hello All
I have a few questions and maybe you all can point me in the right direction.

My daughter and me are interested in racing. I think I know the direction I want to go. What I don't know is where to start with my 13 year old daughter.

What class would be best for her? And what kind of start up costs associated with that?

Also is there anywhere locally where she could earn to drive a kart? She has never done anything like this and I would like her to try it before we go out and buy everything.

Also any idea on when the next practice or race might be. We plan on coming out to see all the fun first hand!

Thanks
Mike
Mike Urbanski

Re: New Here

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Mike,

If you look at our points file you will see that the largest class in your daughters age range is Junior Super Sportsman followed by Rotax Junior.

A Yamaha class (Jr Super Sportsman) is a very good class to start learning in. It is usually best to get a handle on the horsepower in a Yamaha class before moving up to a Rotax or TAG class that has more horsepower.

Start up costs will be lower if you buy used equipment to see if it is something you like before investing more in new equipment.

Right now our track is closed as we are in the middle of repaving it. All the preparation work has been completed & we are just waiting for it to stop raining long enough for the track to dry out enough to get hte heavy equipment on it to lay the asphalt.

We are hoping the next race will be Nov 15th but that depends on the weather.

Seeing as there is no big hurry to buy equipment to get out on the track to practice as we have no track right now, why don't you wait & come out to the track at the next race & visit & talk to some racers in your daughter's age group to get a better idea of which class she might want to race in?
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Mike Urbanski » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 am

Thanks for the info. We definitely plan on coming and out whenever the next race is. We both are looking forward to coming to the track and meeting people. I was also thinking about coming out to the club meeting next month. I know how busy it can be on race day.

Is there any local place to rent a kart for like 15 min so she can get a feel for the speed and power? The only place I have found is MSR in Houston.

Thanks again.

Mike
Mike Urbanski

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:38 am

Mike,

Contact any of our sponsors that are kart shops there are links to their websites with contact info on the NTK Sponsor Page I bet any of them can rent you a kart to try out (when our track is finished).

Listed in alphabetical order:
3G Kart Racing
Kart Racing Solutions
KAM Karting
The Kart Shop

The next club mtg is at the IHOP in Lewisville at I35 & Round Grove Road Nov 5th @ 7:30pm We'd love to see you there, I'd get there early about 7pm before the club business starts so you can visit & ask questions (and leave early if the business part gets long & drawn out).
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Mike Urbanski » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks again. As long as I am in town on the 5th I will be there. Look forward to meeting everyone!
Mike
Mike Urbanski

Return to General Karting