It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:30 am

Text Size

Questions about building a chonda chassis.

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Questions about building a chonda chassis.

Postby William Davis » Wed May 19, 2010 2:41 pm

I've been drag racing for ten year at northstar dragway and have recently heard about the chonda class at the kart track. I am really wanting to get into it but I want to build my own chassis. I have built several drag cars and have the skill to do so, I just don't know where to start with building a kart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Materials, measurements, plans, design, etc. Thanks.
William Davis

Re: Questions about building a chonda chassis.

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Wed May 19, 2010 2:53 pm

William,

Our club president John Ray builds Micro Shop kart chassis. Why don't you come out to a race & talk to him & some of the other racers?

Most of us buy ready made race karts as it is hard to build a competitive kart cost effectively compared to one that has been designed by an Italian race kart company that mass produces them. Most of them are Italian but there are some other manufacturers like Margay that is American.

This weekend we are having a charity event benefiting Kali's Cure. There is a $20 entry fee which gains you access to 2 band concerts on Friday night & races on Saturday & Sunday including a 75 lap endurance team race on Saturday night.

Our club races only cost $8 for a spectator pass & the next one is Saturday June 12th.

We would love for you to come out to the track & visit with us.

Call if you have more questions. 972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby William Davis » Wed May 19, 2010 3:30 pm

I'm gonna try to make it out there this Friday and Sunday. I understand buying is a lot easier but I have built just about every vehicle I have owned and nothing can replace the feeling of winning in something that you built. I guess I'm just hard headed. But any info from anyone that has done it is appreciated. One of my friends has a couple shifter karts, I might just built my chassis to the exact specs of his.
William Davis

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Wed May 19, 2010 4:44 pm

William,

Make sure his shifter kart chassis has room for the 4-cycle rear sprocket, sometimes a cross member gets in the way of the rear sprocket. I don't think all shifter kart chassis are suitable for the Chonda engine. If you bring the chassis to the track we can tell you if it will fit or not.

I don't think John Ray will be there Friday but he will be there on Saturday & Sunday & he builds winning kart chassis.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to General Karting