It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:44 am

Text Size

Wanted: Recommendation

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Wanted: Recommendation

Postby Brad Davenport » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Any recommendations on chassis and racing class for someone 5-10 / 180lbs.

I haven't raced since I was a pre-teen and just moved the family back to North Texas. Very interested in getting back into karting.

Thanks
Brad Davenport

Re: Wanted: Recommendation

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi Brad,

How much money do you have & how fast do you want to go?

Just kidding!

We have several different classes depending on your budget, mechanical abilities & racing experience.

I suggest you come to the track and talk to other racers in your age group & watch the racers.

Starting with the cheapest & slowest class we have the 4-cycle classes - Chonda & Animal.

Chonda Engine - $160 - Harbor Freight (Honda clone)
B&S Animal - $500

Next we have the Yamaha KT100 classes - Sr Super Sportsman & Master Can

Yamaha KT100 - $750

Then there are the Rotax Sr & Rotax Masters classes

Rotax Engine - $3,500

The Honda 125cc Stock Moto shifter class has recently become very popular, sorry I don't know how much they cost. I think it is a little less than a Rotax just under $3,000?

Racers usually start out in one of the lower horsepower entry level classes which would be a 4-cycle or Yamaha class. In one of these classes you can learn how to drive smoothly & consistently so you will be a good driver when you move up to a higher horsepower engine.

If you just want to try karting out and are on a budget get a good used chassis & go with a 4-cycle or Yamaha class to start out with & you can upgrade your engine package after you master the basics & learn the driving lines, how to drive smoothly & consistently & how to get around the track fast with a lower horse power engine.

If you tell the gate house worker you are visiting the track for the first time you will get in for free. Why don't you come out & visit with us, watch the races & ask questions to find out how much money & maintenance each class requires.

This weekend is a SWRC regional race at NTK & entry is not free, it will probably be better to come out to a club race as some of the classes in the regional event are not the same as our club classes.

Hope we see you soon!
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Re: Wanted: Recommendation

Postby George Kraus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Dear Sir,
I am getting out of Karting and have a will sell everything for a Yamaha class kart, Complete race ready kart w/motor. Spair motor ( just rebuilt ) and not broken in yet, set of new tires, transponder, all spare parts, kart starter. kart stand, gear sets, ect, Won 2006 Yamaha Heavy class, have new sportsman can too. 4 Steve Smith books on karting, ( chasie setup, driving tech ect. ) Carb and clutch tools, pit boxes, lubes, gas can. All you would need is the neck brace, gloves, and helmet to go race.
Asking 1500.00
George Kraus
Irving
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Return to General Karting