It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Text Size

9 year old daughter wants to try karting

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

9 year old daughter wants to try karting

Postby Leon Knox » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

Looking for some info have no idea how to start. My 9 year old daughter wants to try karting. Any one no of A driving school or a location I could take her to try the sport on a real kart to see if she would even like it. She likes go carts but big difference i am sure in speed of a race kart. I really don't want to put a great deal of money into this and have her not want to do it after one time around the track. Any help ould be great thanks leon
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Re: 9 year old daughter wants to try karting

Postby Bob Schabel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 am

Leon, Give me a call and i'll tell you what we have available for her to try out at the club track in Denton. Bob Schabel, NTK VP, 972-221-2567
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Leon Knox » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:25 am

thanks will do. by anychance what class would a new driver 9 years old start out in.
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Here is a copy & paste of the cadet classes at NTK from the Classes page

Ages 8-12 run various classes with a cadet sized chassis. These are typically 7-8 HP Yamaha KT-100 2 stroke and 13 HP TAG classes. These kids put on some fine racing!

Junior 1 - Yamaha KT100 engine or Comer K-80
TAG Cadet - Gazelle 60cc
Rotax Mini Max - Spec class with a sealed Rotax FR125 - ages 9-12
Rotax Micro Max - Spec class with a sealed Rotax FR125 - ages 7-10

We have a new 4-cycle class that we are starting at NTK called Chonda that needs to be added to the Classes page on the website.

I wouldn't recommend a Rotax class for a new 9 year old racer with no driving/racing experience, they are fast karts.

Probably a Yamaha or a Honda clone (Chonda) class would be a great class to get started in.

The Yamaha class would be the Junior 1 2-cycle class. The Chonda class would be Chonda Junior 1.

We started the 4-cycle classes at NTK last year & don't have any racers in the Chonda Junior 1 class yet. We have a few in the Chonda Junior III ages 12-15.

The Senior Chonda class is new but is already one of the biggest classes at NTK. The reason for this is because the engine is so cheap, you can put them on a used chassis & get into racing for $1,200 - $1,500. The sealed Chonda engine just costs $130 (you can upgrade a few things & be competitive for $160. A stock Yamaha engine is $750.

The Chonda has very little maintenance. There is no engine rebuilds required. You need to change the oil frequently & just drive it.

With the Yamaha class you will need to rebuild & adjust clutches periodically (Yamaha clutches cost $300+, Chonda clutch costs $52). I used hte same clutch at all the club races last year & the SWRC races & am still using it this year. I took it apart once to inspect it & put it back together. I imagine I will just replace it when it needs work rather than rebuild it as it is so cheap.

With a Yamaha the engine will need to be rebuilt periodically either by yourself or an engine builder. The engine rebuild will cost much more than a new Chonda.

But the Yamahas do go faster than the Chondas, but all the Chondas go the same speed so it is all down to kart set up & driver skill.

Both the Yamaha & Chonda classes are excellent choices for a beginner racer, which one depends on your budget & how much maintenance & engine work you are prepared to do or pay to get done. They are both a lower horsepower engine than the TAG, Rotax or Shifter classes which means you will have to learn to be a smooth consistent driver in order to maintain speed through the turns and have competitive lap times. After a season racing in a lower horsepower engine you will be a good driver & ready to move up to a higher horsepower package if you want to go faster.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Bob,

Can you add the Chonda Junior & Senior classes to the Classes page on the website?
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Leon Knox » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 pm

thanks for the great answer. looking at the chonda cheaper is good for starting out. Any sugestions on where to look for karts. would be looking for one ready to go if possible as i know pretty much nothing about anything to do with engens or racing thanks again
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Return to General Karting