It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:21 am

Text Size

Looking to get in to Karting

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Looking to get in to Karting

Postby Brent Martin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Hello,

I have always wanted to get into karting and I finally am in a position to do so. Ive visited the track once before a few years ago and was very impressed. I want to get some advice from the seasoned racers on a couple of topics.

First, I used to race Jet Skis and loved it but have never actually been in a racing kart. Is there anyway I can come try one out? I think I read in another post that NTK has a kart that newbies can try out.

I also would like some advice on what class/ kart setup I should be getting into. I want to race competitively in one of the larger/faster classes. I did well at Jet ski racing but the classes were so small that it wasn't saying much when you were racing against 6 to 10 people at nationals...

A little bit about me, I'm 23, 5' 8" and 150 pounds. I want to buy a used but still competitive kart for use in one of the bigger classes. I would love some advice on what to look for.

I found this on craigslist and was wondering if this could be a good starter kart (assuming its still available):
http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/rvs/2471603832.html

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

-Brent
Brent Martin

Re: Looking to get in to Karting

Postby John Ray » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:07 pm

racing a kart is a new experience if you have never raced one before. this is not speed zone or other rentals you may have experienced in the past. my suggestion to you is to get into the yamaha senior super sportsman class in order to learn the basics of karting control and seat time. you can buy a used setup at a reasonable price and after you have mastered the class, then you will be better at a faster class, not that this class i speak of is a slow class. take small steps in karting and you wont dissappoint yourself or get discouraged. come out for a ride and see if it is what you are expecting.

john ray
J RAY
John Ray
NTK President

Postby Chance Kelly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Come on out to our race on the 27th and try out the club chonda and see how you like it. If you're able to fit in my kart, I'll let you take it for a spin as well.

Senior Super Sportsman #12
Chance Kelly
NTK Member

Postby Bob Schabel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 am

Brent, If you give me a call I can let you try out our Demo kart on the track. Bob Schabel, NTK VP, 972-221-2567
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Brent Martin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I'll do my best to make it to the track this coming Saturday to learn more and go for a test drive.

-Brent
Brent Martin

Return to General Karting