It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Text Size

New to Karting

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

New to Karting

Postby Boyd Atherton » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 pm

My name is Boyd Atherton, I came out to the watch the races last Saturday and also got to take a ride in a Chonda kart. That pretty much hooked me on karting. I used to build custom bicycles and also raced road, mountain, track and BMX bikes. So racing has been part of my life for a long time.

I'd like to get a Chonda kart built up, join the club and start racing. I picked up a couple Intrepid Karts from a guy in Shreveport. One has a Rotax and the other a PRD Fireball motor. So I have a little work to do to get a Chonda motor and get a kart set-up. Probably be looking to sell off the other motors. Think I may be bringing another friend along for the ride on the other chassis that I don't use. So there could be two new members in the Chonda class.

Looking forward to getting a kart together and becoming a NTK regular.
Boyd Atherton

Re: New to Karting

Postby Aaron Bunch » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:53 am

Congrats on the new karts. You should at least try them out as Rotax/TAG. Chonda is a big class at NTK, but Rotax/TAG seems to be coming back in popularity.
Aaron Bunch
NTK Member

Postby Boyd Atherton » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 am

Think I'll at least get them ready to run with these motors and then see what the options look like. The PRD motor has very little hours and hasn't really completed the full break-in process yet, it was bought new in '08. The Rotax is older also, it's a sealed motor with passport and has 4-5 hours since being rebuilt.

Was just thinking Chonda would be a good way to start to get up to speed.
Boyd Atherton

Postby Bob Schabel » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:40 am

FYI, with the Chonda engine you might have to modify the frame to get it to work. The Chonda engine has the clutch on the left hand side of the motor. It will be next to the seat so there are clearance issues with the seat and the seat strut.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Boyd Atherton » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Yeah, I'm aware that it may take some reworking of the seat strut. Also will need to machine a place for the keyway in the axle.

BTW, I have quite a bit of cro-moly tubing from my bicycle frame building if anyone needs some for a project.

Bob, thanks for the tip about going wide open through turn one. I was pretty excited when I actually did it.
Boyd Atherton

Postby Randy Voorhies » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:21 am

Boyd- whatever you do, don't sell either engine that came with the karts till you know what you have. Because both motors turn at such high rpms they are subject to rebuilds. The Rotax will cost a little more, but will last a long time. Also just as an option, Rotax has an offer now, trade in one of your old engines and get $750 off the purchase of a new one.

If you go with the Chonda- first I would buy from an engine builder you can actually talk to. I know from first-hand experience, not all Chonda motors you can buy online will pass tech. I use George Shear george@smallmotorwarehouse.com. He builds a good motor and knows the NTK rules.

Mounting the Chonda can be fun, however there are motor mounts that allow some left to right movement that help with space. My son ran Chonda on an Intrepid frame for three years, we never had to cut a seat strut.

If you go out to practice in the Rotax, look for Tommy Vieth. He won the championship last year and really enjoys helping people.
Sketchys Kart Shop- authorized OTK/Tony Kart dealer
Jarret Voorhies 2012 & 2013 Rotax Jr Champion, 2012 & 2013 Chonda Lt Champion
http://WWW.jarretvoorhies.com
Randy Voorhies
NTK Member

Postby Boyd Atherton » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for the tips. I've almost got the PRD motor ready to fire up and see how it runs. Haven't done much on the Rotax yet.

That's good to hear about your success with a clone on an Intrepid chassis.

Yeah I talked with Tommy a bit at the last race. Met his little dog Piggy. Showed him some pics of our 2 Boston Terriers. Real nice guy.
Boyd Atherton

Return to General Karting