It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Text Size

Gearing Question...

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Gearing Question...

Postby Matt Christman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:02 pm

I bought my son a used Chonda kart that we got a good deal on, and after getting him a bunch of drive time, I am starting to get more involved with tuning the kart.

I just found out that the kart is presently geared 17/64.
With the "weenie" pipe on, the kart hits 5700 RPM max, I've heard the Chondas eek out a little more power up to around 6100. I have also talked to others who say they run 15/57 gearing with good results.

Mathematically, 17/64 and 15/57 work out to be pretty close. Is there an advantage to one set up or another?

Is it worth it to change either (or both) sprockets to get a few hundred more RPM out of the engine, and if so, should we go down on the front, up on the rear, or both?

Thanks for any info, the newbies appreciate it! :D

Ohh... and one more question...
We have a Hilliard Inferno Flame that has adjustable springs to change the RPM engagement. Anyone have a recommendation on what they recommend for a Chonda on clutch engagement?
Matt Christman

Re: Gearing Question...

Postby Mike Bray » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:12 pm

For the Hilliard Flame clutch this might help. http://www.hilliardextremeduty.com/medi ... 7f-019.pdf

You want either two white & two black springs or four white springs. No weights.
Mike - Arrow X1 Rotax
Angel - Arrow AX9 Rotax
Oliver - Top Kart Kid Kart
Mike Bray
NTK Member

Return to General Karting