It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Text Size

Clone motors

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Kevin Crowe, Daniel Esparza

Clone motors

Postby Mike Engstrom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:05 pm

I've heard a rumor of interest in starting a honda clone class at NTK. If someone is interested we have the blue motors in stock, only 149.00 we also have all the accessories to put the engine on the kart in stock as well. 817-638-5278
Mike Engstrom

Re: Clone motors

Postby Greg Masterman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Sounds like a good way to get folks going. The Animal engine class would be the class I'd like to see, but brackets might include either choice. We could see which group evolves.
Greg

Why Race to Your Next Oil Change?
AMSOIL Independent Dealer http://www.TruLube.com
Lubricants for DIESEL/GAS/Powersports/Lawn and Garden
Greg Masterman

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:44 am

Do we really need ANOTHER class?
Mike Jones
www.dallaskartingcomplex.com
http://www.thekartshop.net
214-882-6823
Sales, Service, Driver Coaching

"Loving the smell of burnt castor for over 30 years"
Mike Jones

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:23 am

Mike,

Our entry count is low, I guess the economy has a lot to do with it. This engine is so cheap everyone can afford one. It would be a great entry level class. I'm sure after people tried racing and like it they will move up to one of the other classes. I hear the Clone class is taking off in other parts of the country.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Greg Masterman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:41 am

I kinda agree with Mike, but brackets exist to allow all racers a chance to get out and race with a group. Brackets used to be the big class from what I hear.
Competitive racing regardless the class should be the goal.
Decreasing numbers at the races makes me wonder where the real solution lies.
Greg

Greg Masterman

Postby Mike Engstrom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:25 pm

No we don't need more classes, but we do need more racers. This is just an idea, that has caught on like crazy in other parts of the country. I'm sure there is a class that could be taken out to make room. The number one thing is the large turn over of racers each year and the lack of growth. Mike, maybe yall's new track will bring bunches of new racers!
Mike Engstrom

Postby George Kraus » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Could someone send me a copy of the rules for the clone class, please. As a racer I know I would want to at least "look" at the guts of the motor and maybe "well" fix it. Just a racer being what racers do. I don't know anything about the class but would like to be prepaired. Weights would be nice, clutches, type of fuel used, carb size, ect, ect, ect. I would like more info on what the class is. The Brackets classes would be my best guess where they would race without anymore information.
Thanks,
George Kraus
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Postby Mike Engstrom » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:46 pm

George there is a web site for AKRA there is a bunch of information there. But you stucture your local program to suit your own needs. Bottom line is pick a particular engine, the blue seems to be the most popular. You have to buy that certain brand, pull the governor out, you can spec a pipe or not, run a shoe clutch only, after market air filter or not, and run it, no after market parts NO MODS period. The engine will safely turn close to 6000 rpm. No it's not going to be fast, but who cares if everyone has to same thing, cheap means more racers, more members and growth. Bottom line more racers the club makes MORE MONEY!!! PERIOD
Mike Engstrom

Postby Greg Masterman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 pm

I agree, racing is the goal not the speed. I'm selling my ROTAX, but want to race. I'll be glad to race anyone regardless the speed. Karting is not formula one. Time for racing not bank accounts...
Greg

Greg Masterman

Postby Shae Nault » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 am

Greg come race kt100 with me!
Shae Nault

Postby John Ray » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 pm

george, i have a copy of the rules that ron pattison sent me for the clone motor class they run in tulsa, however i wasnt going to bring anything up about it because we were trying to promote the animal motor class. shae, we used to have a strong sr super sportsman class in the past ( direct drive ) but it has gotten perverted with clutches and splintered by other motor interests, dying but not dead yet, it was the best class to learn how to drive a kart.
J RAY
John Ray
NTK President

Postby Mike Engstrom » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I agree with John, the KT 100 direct drive was BAD-A$$ I remember back in the day not so long ago, fields of 20+ in formula Y. He is also correct on trying to get the Briggs animal class going. There could be room for both, the animal could be the second step from the clone class. Right now everyone is riding the rotax wave the WE started in this area about 9 years ago, at that time most thought it was crazy and wouldn't work. It worked out pretty well. Trust me we all need an inexpensive true entry level class!!!
Mike Engstrom

Postby George Kraus » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:00 pm

All,
I feel that John Ray is 100 % correct with getting all the Senior Yamaha Classes back togeather. I really feel like the Kt100 classes got too fragmented for the club's good. The Kt100 is, in my opinion, the best class to learn to drive in.
Driven faster,
George Kraus
#21 Yamaha Heavy
Lookin for a SS/RLV can for next year.
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Postby Greg Masterman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:07 am

I think a master class is appropriate in the Yamaha class. A 50 year old racing a 50 year old is more attractive and a better tale to tell a friend then an old fart racing with "kids". If we want more adults then an adult only class has to exist.
It's time to cater the the ones paying the bills. We have Master classes in the rotax and tag for a reason, same applies to Yamaha.
Clone engines would be great if the class is spec. To many classes might be the result of to much need to make modifications which might take them out of class.

I need workers for Summer 5
Greg

Greg Masterman

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:02 am

you guys are hilarious. in earlier posts in almost sounded like you were ready to purchase and race this new "clone" engine. then a little squeek out of a girl says "come race with me in Yamaha's".
One day later, it sounds like your sticking with your "already owned and know how it works Yamaha". John and Mike are totally correct with the Yamaha idea. Wheather it be the "Formula Y" pipe or the can, it really doesn't matter. The direct drive Yamaha class was by far the coolest class ever at NTK and it brought in more enrties than 20 easily. I've tried many times to get the class going again and as always people say "yea, I'll do it if you do it" and it just doesn't happen for whatever reason. NTK might as well start a never ending thread on this topic because it's been going on since the Formula Y class died. There are Yamaha's by the dozens around here. Everyone knows how they work, parts are cheap and plentyful. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and use what you already have. that's what will draw in more number of entries. If your really interested in growing a particular class in Yamaha, call me and I'll help in orchestrating a class. just my $.02
Mike Jones
www.dallaskartingcomplex.com
http://www.thekartshop.net
214-882-6823
Sales, Service, Driver Coaching

"Loving the smell of burnt castor for over 30 years"
Mike Jones

Next

Return to 4-Cycle