It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:21 am

Text Size

potential new chonda driver

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Kevin Crowe, Daniel Esparza

potential new chonda driver

Postby Leon Knox » Sun May 08, 2011 10:15 am

Looking at possably startying my 9 year old daughter out in chonda class peding some driving lessons. Question is was lookign at the harbor fright site on the engines is this the right engin 6.5 HP Horizontal Shaft Overhead Valve Gas Engine
Item # 66015 Manufacturer: Greyhound looks like agreat deal on the engine right now Sale: $74.97
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Re: potential new chonda driver

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun May 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Leon,

That is a good deal! If you buy a Harbor Freight engine make sure it is the blue one. They are about to discontinue the blue Greyhound engine & replace it with a Predator line which will not be legal at NTK.

If you purchase a blue HF engine it will have to be sealed by George Shear at Total Concept Racing Engines. George charges $40 to inspect & seal a race ready engine. However I do not know how much he will charge to remove the governor & Oil sensor from a new Blue HF engine, you will have to contact him to find out.

You should probably know that the yellow engines already come with no governor or oil sensor & are built specifically for racing & are closer to the AKRA 2011 rule specs.

George sells a stock yellow engine sealed for $130. Most members upgrade to a BSP ($20) or CL1 ($40?) Improved cam & have George advance the timing ($10) while he is sealing it. I bought my engine from George with a BSP cam & advanced timing, sealed for $160.

Call George & find out how much it costs to upgrade, seal & get a blue HF engine race ready & NTK legal compared to a yellow engine.

http://www.gokartracingengines.com/
405-799-9204
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Leon Knox » Sun May 08, 2011 1:48 pm

thanks sounds like the yellow may be pretty much the same price after makign it race ready thanks again.
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Postby Bob Schabel » Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Yes, Go with the Yellow motor from George. Then, if and when you have to sell it, you have a motor that is in demand.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Return to 4-Cycle