It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 am

Text Size

How many shifters are expected to run this year?

Discussion forum for shifters.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

How many shifters are expected to run this year?

Postby Craig Blackwood » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 pm

I am thinking of purchasing a group 1 shifter. How many guys usually come out on an average raceday. Am I wasting my money? It looks like Rotax is the most competitive class. I have never run at NTK and I need some help in finding a class. I would like to run at least 2 times a month.
Craig Blackwood

Shifters at NTK

Postby Brandt Lucido » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 am

Craig, we are trying to build up the shifter class this year, I Know of 4 regular guys that have already been comming to the Outlaw races,and 3 jr 125 shifters that are there now. We welcome anyone who wants to be a part of it. I don't know your experience level but generaly shifter drivers have had prior karting experience. The stock 125 class weight is 385lbs.
Brandt Lucido

Postby David McCullough » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 am

I hate to be the bad guy, but if you are a newbie to kart racing you need to start in a different class than Shifter. Shifter karts are a handful at the NTK track. Do you have any racing experience? I raced SCCA for too long and find Shifter karts to be a lot of work on and off the track. Yamaha powered karts are the best introduction to kart racing because it allows you to learn at your pace. That's why the Kart School uses Yamaha powered karts. There's more to racing than just driving. Shifter karts are very heavy and hard to manage by one person, these karts are hard to start by your self, just getting it on the stand is a pain. And the main thing MONEY, you will spend more if you decide to race a Shifter than a Yamaha. After having said all this, I own 3 shifter karts, so I know a bit about them. Call me if you what more info, David @940-368-6208
David McCullough

Postby Craig Blackwood » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 am

I have sprint kart, midget, and sprint car expirience. I know there will be a learning curve, but think I can handle it. I just want to compete in a class that is competitive. Since its' just for "fun" ha-ha.
Craig Blackwood

Shifters

Postby Brandt Lucido » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:49 pm

OK David the bad guy,I would be willing to bet you that i have spent less on maintanance than you have on your Yamaha. Nicholas my son who now drives the stock shifter ran a 3 hole and 4 hole Yamaha for two years and between the rebuilds ,chains and clutches it wasn't that cheep. These 125 stock piston can be bought at your local honda dealership for about $60 dollars,and i can put it togather without a professional builders fee..We have run aprox 28 races last year ,between road racing and sprint i have put 3 pistons in,one of these really needed it the other two we just for insurance!Come on stock is the way to go!!!! Our chains are $19 and we don't hardley wear them out,no clutches to worry about almost bullet proof.Thats why stock moto is so attractive to us.Brandt Lucido
Brandt Lucido

Postby Jordon Musser » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:51 pm

Pick up a a stock moto shifter and come race with us!

We have 4-5 guys that are commited to it this year, and that number is growing rapidly. And if I might say so myself.. 2 of the top NTK drivers run stock moto :)

Brandt- check your email.. what sprockets for road racing 17 and 18?
Jordon Musser
NTK Member

Postby David McCullough » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:18 pm

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to get your dander up. As far as racing, I'll pass, been there done that. As for the money spent you're right, but you are an experienced kart guy. I was just hoping to let a newbie have a little fun without getting in the way. You must admit a shifter kart is a big learning curve! I've learned my lesson, I'll stick to playing with my Grandson on his Animal.
David McCullough

shifters

Postby Brandt Lucido » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Dave,it not so hard ,look at the Jr class 12 to 15 yrs old S5 class,if they can do it you and your granson can. I know what it is really all about for me is spending time with my son Nicholas. I don't know what other sport or activity i coiuld have found that would have put us togather week in & week out either on the road traveling to another track or just practicing at NTK like this past Sunday. They grow up fast as we all know and to get my racing kicks and be with him is a double bennifit. Hope everyone is having just as much fun as we are.Brandt Lucido
Brandt Lucido

Return to Shifter Karts