It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:05 am

Text Size

KAM RMax Challenge Series Announcement

Discussion forum for all Rotax classes.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

KAM RMax Challenge Series Announcement

Postby Mike Engstrom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 pm

The KAM Rmax Challenge will follow the SWRC schedule. Please click this link for more information: http://www.kamkarting.com/ROTAX.htm.

Everyone that lists KAM as their home series will recieve a $25.00 KAM shop credit. Please email me your ROTAX membership/license number to recieve your coupon.

Kelley Engstrom
KAM Rmax Challenge
Series Director
kart61@airmail.net
Mike Engstrom

Racing with Kam

Postby Ken Quigley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:41 am

Kelly,

On the schedule that is posted for NTK it shows that the 17th and the 18th of May a race will bill held at OMC, not Katy, and on the 28th and 29th the race will be at Iron Rock in Austin. I am confused because your link shows races on May 17th and 18th as being in Katy and the 28th and 29th of June as being at OMC.

I believe the minimum weight as posted is now 265lbs. for minimax. I don't mind one bit if we are going with 255lbs. as I wont have to add any weight to the kart.

I have 6 sets of Mojo D2's already purchased. I noticed that in your note we MUST purchase the tires from KAM. Is that rule hard and fast?

Finally, does our passport need to have the company STAMP that sealed the engine? This was required for the RMax challenge last year...I think.

Ken
Last edited by Ken Quigley on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken Quigley

Postby Bradley Richardson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08 am

Good points Ken...

On another note...So am I correct that those THREE weekends are the ONLY races and opportunities any of our kids have to qualify? Six races sure...but over three WEEKENDS. Miss one weekend.. and you miss two races...thanks for playing...good bye.

Also...how many spots are there available? It just seems there was a lot more information and communication last year.

I'm still new to all of this...but this is a HUGE change from last year when there were at least 5-6 opportunties at NTK alone. Do we in North Texas not have any stroke whatsoever? If we are now going to HAVE to travel to Hou..., et al.... What is the benefit of running the KAM as my home series?

Between this and the scheduling fiasco for Nationals....this is not making it look very appealing at all. Especially for anyone of us with the younger kids who are trying to learn it all and make a go of this. Maybe a little help from the local powers that be?

BGR
Bradley Richardson

Postby Mike Engstrom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 am

Ken - SWRC has made changes to their schedule - I will double check but those were the venues that I was given yesterday. As for the tire rule - Yes you must buy them from KAM. We don't make any money on the Rmax challenge (the track(s) do) so it's only fair that our local racers buy their tires from us anyway. KAM Karting Supply has not only supported NTK for over 12 years, we have sponsored and put on the local RMax Challenge for 6 years spending countless hours fighting for the things that the racers want, talking to and explaining items to the racers, scheduling, etc. If the ROTAX rules say that you must run MoJo's (their rule not ours) why not buy them from us anyway....... :?:
Regarding your motor…yes it has to be stamped (not written in) per Rotax rules to qualify.

Bradley,
I couldn't agree with you more on the fiasco that ROTAX has created. This is a point of contention that I've had to fight almost every year since we've been promoting Rmax Challenges. But because of this scheduling conflict I wouldn't worry too much about missing a local challenge race as far as your child being eligible for the Grand Nationals! I'm sure that anyone who wishes to go that has approval from their local series will get to go this year.

Also the racers wanted to travel to the best tracks in the area for their challenge and it was unanimous to run the challenge with the SWRC series. They (SWRC) make the schedule and set the rates.
Mike Engstrom

Postby Mike Engstrom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:56 am

Bradley Richardson wrote:
Also...how many spots are there available? It just seems there was a lot more information and communication last year.

Just an FYI here - the reason it may have seemed like there was more information and communication last year was due to all the controversy over the allocations. There has been no mention of allocations this year. Further, Joe Ramos, Jr. was in charge of the RMax Challenge program and he was great at dealer communications and making efficient business decisions regarding the program. Unfortunately we no longer have him to rely on as he has left SSC to pursue other career opportunities.
Mike Engstrom

Postby Tom Owens » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:49 am

Kelly,
Our thanks to you and KAM Karting for supporting NTK and the ROTAX series.
We look forward to racing at Norman (one of the best kart tracks in the US ) and Katy. Racers will learn alot racing and tuning on these tracks.

Thanks, Tom Owens.
Tom Owens

Postby Frank Clark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:46 pm

RMAX lists the MiniMax age cut off as 9 by 9-1-2008 (which I beleive is different than the other classes).

Kelly,

Will SWRC have RMAX classes on the non-Challenge dates?

On the Challenge dates will they have both Challenge and Non-Challenge races for the RMAX classes?

Thanks,

Frank
Frank Clark

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Frank,

I think the only Rotax-only classes will be the Challenge classes. If you want to run in another class you can run in the TAG classes.

The rules/classes etc... are still being worked out & will be posted on the new SWRC website www.southwestregionalcup.com as soon as they become available.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Frank Clark » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Yaani-Mai Gaddy wrote:...If you want to run in another class you can run in the TAG classes....

But there is no TaG equivalent for Mini-Max to run in. Of course if they want to let Mini-Max run with TaG cadet, I won't complain :D .
Frank Clark (Dad)
Chris Clark (#8 Mini-Max)
Frank Clark

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Frank,

Oh, I see what you mean.

Let me see if I can find out about Mini Max non challenge in the SWRC series.

Yaani-Mai
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:32 am

Frank,

It looks like your options are:

1. Buy a Rotax License and race in the Mini Max class.
2. Buy a Tag engine & race in Tag Cadet.

I don't think there will be enough Mini Max racers that won't be running in the challenge class to make a Mini Max only non challenge class.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Frank Clark » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:02 pm

We have a Rotax license and will be running the Challenge races. But, I'm wondering if there will be Mini-Max races in the Fall SWRC races.

I would like to do the Fall SWRC races.

We have a TaG engine but I don't see us running TaG Cadet out of town.
Frank Clark (Dad)
Frank Clark

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Frank,

There is no longer a Spring & a Fall SWRC series.

New for 2008 there is one series, 5 weekends (two races per weekend). Right now the first 3 weekends (6 races) will be Rotax Challenge races.

We will have to check with them to see if Mini Maxers (and other Rotax classes) that run the Challenge series and the last 2 weekends will qualify for a SWRC series championship. I don't know the answer to that. I will see if I can find out.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Mike Engstrom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:32 pm

We added another weekend (2 additional races) for the KAM Karting RMax Challenge. Please see www.kamkarting.com and click on "RMax Challenge" for more information.
Mike Engstrom

Postby Frank Clark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Kelly,

For mini-max, you have "Spec gear optional at Race Director's discretion."

Can we get a statement ahead of time if/what the spec will be for each track?

Personally I want to see the Grand National spec (13 x 82) everywhere.

I spoke with the RMax tech folks several times before the last NTK rules meeting and they made it clear the 'at Race Director's discression' is intended for those real tight tracks where 13x82 will bog the engine. I don't see that any of the track in this series have that problem. If we were racing at Waco it would be another story.

If gearing is open we will probably skip OMC. I'm not ready for Chris to be in a race situation at those speeds.

Thanks,

Frank
Frank Clark (Dad)
Frank Clark

Return to Rotax