It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:30 am

Text Size

Need some direction....

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Need some direction....

Postby Rich Luckie » Wed May 07, 2008 8:04 pm

I am new to karting. I am 6'3" and on the bigger side 260lbs. Is there a kart out there that will provide some comfort and will not break on me?? Ha ha. I haven't been to a race yet and will be going soon. Some friends and myself are looking for karts and then I found this site. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Rich Luckie

Postby George Kraus » Fri May 09, 2008 8:40 am

Dear Sir,
Being such a big man is a huge diadvantage. I would suggest a Rotax class at 405 lbs. Hard to start out in that class as it is a top end class with higher horsepower motors and proven drivers. Yet it can be done. Look at the Rotax classes next time you come out to the track or give me a shout.
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

new to karting

Postby Mike Jones » Sun May 11, 2008 10:13 am

Rich,

Make sure while your out talking to the guys at the track, remember to ask the cost involved in running a Rotax vs. Yamaha. The U.S. dollar isn't quite as valuable as the Euro right now, so WE (American's) pay more for European parts. I would highly encourage you to still consider running a Yamaha (Japanese). Look at buying a complete used kart from someone for $1200-$2500 and learn to drive and tune on a kart before losing money on a kart that you might not be able to sell due to the value difference. You will still have a great with your buddies in this class and probably only run a couple of seconds slower than a Rotax or any other TAG motor. Not to mention, you should always be able to sell your Yamaha kart for what you have invested.
Just my $.02
Call me if I can help any further....214-882-6823
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

New to Karting

Postby Greg Masterman » Sun May 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Rich,

We run Yamahas in our TruRacing kart classes. We have had big guys in our classes(285Lbs), and have found the speed more than enough, at least in a school enviornment. The Yamaha heavy class uses a slightly higher powered version of the same motor as it uses a tunned pipe. Up front, the Yamaha motor is less costly, the Rotax needs less maintenance and is a "sealed" motor. Chassis are available that can be used for Rotax or Yamaha engines. As George mentioned, the Rotax does give you more speed as it has almost twice the power of a yamaha, but using that power is harder without learning to drive smooth. The Yamaha will teach you to be a smoother driver before moving up to a higher horsepower class. That said, there are Rotax setups ready to go for around $3500(a new Rotax motor sells for around $3400 alone). Mike is right about the pricing, it ain't cheap buying new from Europe right now. Regardless of the engine choice weight is always a factor when driving a low horsepower race vehicle. Come to the races, find George, Mike, Dan Esparza, or myself and we can try to help you futher.

I'll let the experts expound on my comments as there is always more to be said about all this karting stuff.

Greg
Greg

Why Race to Your Next Oil Change?
AMSOIL Independent Dealer http://www.TruLube.com
Lubricants for DIESEL/GAS/Powersports/Lawn and Garden
Greg Masterman

Postby Rich Luckie » Sat May 17, 2008 8:37 am

I found 2 Yamaha Heavy karts for sale that is in my price range, 1 is on here and the other through a friend. I am going to try and take a look at them. The one on here is a 2001 Margay Brava and is $1600 if I remember correctly. I don't know about the other one but it is only $1100. I am still looking but can someone point out to me exactly what a Yamaha Heavy is? Is it a shifter kart?
Rich Luckie

Need Direction

Postby Greg Masterman » Sat May 17, 2008 11:18 am

Rich,

Sounds like you might be able to find a good deal. These are not shifters nor should a new racer be looking for a shifter. Yamaha heavy is a Yamaha engine that uses a tunned pipe to allow for a higher power than a normal exhaust. This would be a great class to start in and you can put a "can" on the engine to run the Senior SuperSportsman class. This will save your engine the extra wear higher RPMs create in the "heavy" class. Either way, the Yamaha would be a good place to start.
Greg

Greg Masterman

Postby Wayne Riedel » Tue May 20, 2008 12:18 am

rich,
find any person on this listing and we can help you get started in karting or yamaha heavy class. the class is a yamaha motor, full exhaust,large carb, any chassis, and 360 lbs. minimum. some guys and gals are at 360 and others are more and all have a good time learning from each other on how to get fast. many of the rotax drivers came from the yamaha classes and drive better as they moved over to the rotax, than the only rotax racers.
#8's wayne
Wayne Riedel

Need Direction

Postby Greg Masterman » Tue May 20, 2008 9:14 pm

Wellllllll, being a Rotax only racer, I have a couple things to say about wayne's post. He's probably right.... Had I started in a Yamaha I would probably be a better driver. There, I said it..., what more do want from me? I'm tryin, I go fast sometimes, please Yamaha guys, I didn't know, I'm sorry. Yamaha's are more than boat anchors, made in the 20's, they are fast. Let me stay in the club..., please!?
Greg

Greg Masterman

Postby Michael Lindsey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:04 am

Rich,

I have a diferent take on this thread. I think TAG is the way to go. Get started in it, start learning to drive it, work out, you will lose some weight just driving. The disadvantage is going to be even more huge in a yamaha class. They have half the HP. You can find a good race ready Tag Kart for around $3500 to $4000. In fact I will let you have one of mine ready to go for $3000 just to get you in the class. Look at the series around the country and you will see that TAG is the way karting has been going for some time now. Also, remember that the Rotax can also run in TAG Usa classes, although on most tracks, our leopards are 2 to 3 seconds faster. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Michael Lindsey

Postby Keith Bartholomew » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Rich,

I agree with Michael Lindsey TAG is an economical way to go and provide a lot of affordable way to race. His Karts are avalible I also know where two basically brand new intrepids are that somebody needs to dispose of including stands and safety gear.
Keith Bartholomew
NTK Member

Postby Mike Engstrom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 am

There are pros and cons either way, being a bigger guy one thing you will probably struggle with is keeping a clutch together on a yamaha. Also you will need to rebuild them at about 8-10 hours, a TAG or Rotax 25-35 hours on a rebuild, bottom end will last longer yet. It really is a toss-up, depends mostly on your budget. I do have a 2005 margay brava with a rotax sr. on it,mychron 3,stand,extra tires and wheels,new battery,other extras,3200.00 call 817-638-5278
Mike Engstrom

Yami vs. TAG

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:33 pm

OK Rich,

USE YOUR HEAD.....How good is the U.S. dollar vs. the Euro?

Now....check out the cost for the rebuild for the Italian motors vs. the Yamaha, not to mention the cost parts for the Italian motors are outragiously expensive !

Learn to drive on a Yamaha, if you need some assistance, then call me I'll be glad to help !

Thanks, Mike Jones
214-882-6823
Mike Jones

Return to General Karting