It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:22 am

Text Size

I'm New

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

I'm New

Postby Travis Nault » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:49 pm

i'm 16 years old and new to racing. were should i start and where can i purchase a cart and other gear.
Travis Nault

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:37 am

Travis,

You should come out to the track on a race day/night and talk to the other racers your age.

You will be in a Senior class, not a Junior class. The choices at NTK would be

Yamaha KT100 Classes
Senior Super Sportsman Lite (with a can) 300lbs
Senior Super Sportsman (with a can) 340lbs
Yamaha Heavy (with a pipe) 360lbs

What do you weigh? The difference between the can & the pipe Yamaha classes is the pipe has a little more horsepower but is harder on the engine. The can class may be less engine maintenance.

TAG/Rotax Classes
TAG Senior (any TAG engine, Rotax engine does not have to be sealed)
Rotax Senior - Must be sealed Rotax engine with engine passport.

With the TAG engines being imported and the value of the dollar TAG is more expensive to get started in these days. A new Rotax engine is over $3,000 a new stock Yamaha engine is about $750 (blue printed may be around $1,500 you will have to check with engine builders or ask racers at the track)

If you really want to learn how to drive well I suggest a Yamaha class as a good starting place where you need to develop good driving skills to keep your momentum up. After you learn how to drive if you need more horsepower move up to Rotax or TAG.

I would suggest you start out with a used package to see if it is something you like and want to invest more money in.

Come on out to the track & visit with the racers and ask them questions. If they are not busy fixing things between heats they will be happy to answer your questions.
Last edited by Yaani-Mai Gaddy on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:42 am

Travis,

Check the NTK classified forums for used equipment for sale.

Check with the local kart shop KAM Karting www.kamkarting.com 817-638-5278

I know DJ Ortiz www.kartracingsolutions.com has a couple of used Rotax packages for sale 214.215.7704.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:51 am

Travis,

Maybe you would like to take a class to take a kart for a test drive? If so contact Greg Masterman www.TruRacing.biz 817-690-4184
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Travis Nault » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks for all the help. i'm 230 lbs.
Travis Nault

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Travis,

Yamaha Heavy (360 lbs)would be a good class.

Rotax Sr (365lbs)

You could be in Rotax Masters (405lbs). The Masters class is for over 32 years of age or 16 years old if you weigh at least 190lbs. Clayton Austin races in that class & I think he is 17. Sean Anthony also, he is probably early 20's.

Tag Sr has different min weights depending on engine, Sonik & Vortex is 390lbs, Rotax & Leopards are 360lbs.

I think you can run in TAG Masters that has higher minimum weights. According to the TAGUSA rules that we use for the TAG classes you can run in TAG Masters if you are 15 & weigh over 200lbs http://www.tagracing.net/rules2008.html

Hey! I have an Intrepid kart with a Sonik motor if you are interested call me. 972-462-8393. My boys used to race several different classes & have gone off to college now & we want to get rid of some used equipment.

Before you think about buying anything I suggest you go to the track and see the different classes run, some don't have many entries so they may not be much fun to race in. TAG Sr & TAG Masters don't have a lot of entries so far this year. The Rotax classes & Yamaha classes usually have several entries.

TAG stands for Touch and Go, those karts have on board electric starters. If you kill the kart while you are on the track (spin out) you are allowed to restart (if you don't exit your kart). If you kill your kart & you have a Yamaha you are done for that heat (they have off board starters). If you drive a Yamaha you soon learn how to keep the kart running if you spin out so you can stay in the race! (I know all about spinning out :D )

I'm thinking the TAG or Rotax kart might be better suited for a larger driver as the clutch could be an issue for you with a Yamaha kart.

You need to come out to the track & talk to some racers in each class.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Travis Nault » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:03 pm

yeah, i'll have to make it up their to watch..... i haven't started saving money yet. i just wanted to get a goal in mind. thanks though, i think i know what i want to do.
Travis Nault

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Travis,

Great! We look forward to seeing you up at the track some time. Bring your friends, it makes for an affordable, fun & exciting evening's entertainment.

We look forward to seeing you there.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to General Karting