It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:22 am

Text Size

Can adults race Karts?

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Can adults race Karts?

Postby Jacob Freeby » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:47 am

I read the rules and couldn't find out much whether adults raced or not.

If so, what class do the adults race in and what do they race?

Jacob
Jacob Freeby

adults racing

Postby Lori Richardson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:33 pm

We have a very active group of Senior classes for adults.
Among those classes are:
Rotax International (age 16 and up)
Rotax Masters (age 32 and up)
Sr. Super Sportsman(age 16 and up)
Yamaha Heavy(age 16 and up)
Tag Sr.(age 16 and up)
Tag Masters(age 32 and up)

While there are many "adults" that race at NTK, we would probably all admit that were are really just kids at heart.

Our next race is Sunday November 9th in the afternoon. Come out, check out the adult classes, and talk to some of the senior racers.

Lori
Lori Richardson

Postby Jacob Freeby » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks Lori

I am 26 years old and weigh 165lbs. What would be a good class to start in?
Jacob Freeby

class

Postby Lori Richardson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Jacob,
I am biased in my answer, so I will steer you to either the Sr. super Sportsman or Yamaha Heavy class.
Those are the 2 classes for seniors with the Yamaha KT100 engine. The only difference is the weight 340 vs 360 and the exhaust.
The Yamaha is a great learning class because you can be competitive in a reasonable amount of time and it is also one of the least expensive options for starting karting.
At NTK most people in the Yamaha Sr. classes got their kart, engine, and racing package for around the $1500 range. That is used pricing. It give you the opportunity to get into the racing and find out if you like it and want to stick with it. If you want to move to another setup or get newer equipment after that, you are in a good position to re-sell the Yamaha equipment without taking a several thousand dollar loss.

Come to a race and visit with us in the pits. We'll try to answer some more of your questions and give you an idea about the club and our classes.

Lori
Lori Richardson

Postby Keith Bartholomew » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Jacob

You should do well with your weight, many choices. Yamaha is a good starter spot. You may consider TAG Senior if not having an on board starter is an issue
Keith Bartholomew
NTK Member

Postby Jacob Freeby » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Keith,
So the only difference between Yamaha and TAG is the on board starter?

Another question, in the Yamaha class, do you have to have a Yamaha engine? Is TAG open to any engine?

Thanks
Jacob
Jacob Freeby

Engines

Postby Lori Richardson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:48 am

Jacob,
In the Yamaha class, you have to have a Yamaha KT100 engine.
In the Tag class there are several engines you can choose from. The weight for you and the kart varies depending on the engine you choose.
There onboard starter is not the only difference between the classes.
Off the top of my head, here are some differences.
Tag engines have more power.
Tag eninges have onboard starters.
With the onboard starter, if you spin and stall the engine on the track, you can push the button to restart, which is not possible with the Yamaha.
The weight requirements are different. I don't have a set of TaG rules to give you the weights though.
Tag setups are more expensive.
Tag has fewer people racing it at NTK right now.

I am sure a TaG racer can give you more details of the differences, but that's my quick answer.

Lori
Lori Richardson

Postby Jacob Freeby » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks Lori,

In the Yamaha class, the 340lbs and the 360lbs. Is that the kart only or the kart and driver?

Thanks
Jacob
Jacob Freeby

weight

Postby Lori Richardson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 am

That is kart and driver. Our Yamaha karts, ready to race, weigh about 170 pounds. Most of the Yamaha Heavy drivers are actually weighing in around 365-370, with a few in the 380-395 range.
Lori Richardson

Postby Michael Lindsey » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:52 pm

Tag Senior is 360 lbs kart and driver.

If you are looking to get into kart racing and move up into regional races, Tag is the way to go. Yes, it is a little more expensive but that is the way most series are going these days.
Michael Lindsey

classes

Postby Lori Richardson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:51 pm

If you are looking to do regional level racing, you will have competitors in TaG.
At NTK over the 16 races this year, we have had less than 15 total entries. Many races had no Tag Sr. racers and no race had more than 3 Tag Sr. racers.
That will give you very few people to race with and get help from at the track.

We have active Sr. Yamaha and active Sr. Rotax classes that always have competitors and people will to help.

You have to make the decision based on what you are looking to do with your racing.
Lori Richardson

Postby Keith Bartholomew » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:13 pm

As it stands right now there are not many TAGS racing. It depends on what you want to race. Yamaha is defenitly an economical way to go and the competition level has more drivers. I have raced TAG classes myself and two sons thay enjoy these classes but I have one son who has gone back to Yamaha. I personally will continue my TAG even though there are not enough entries to compete. I would like to see more TAGs come to NTK.
Keith Bartholomew
NTK Member

Postby Jacob Freeby » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Where is a good place to look and purchase a kart? I have found some on Craigs List.

It's hard not to rush out and purchase one. I want to come watch some races and talk to some people.
Jacob Freeby

Postby George Kraus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 am

Yamaha is the Bomb !! :D Learn to drive before you learn to fly.
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Postby Michael Lindsey » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:43 am

I have an Intrepid race ready kart for sale. It is very competitive and is in great shape. If you decide to go yamaha, that motor will fit on this chassis also. Give me a call if you are interested. 405-210-6788
Michael Lindsey

Next

Return to General Karting