It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:39 am

Text Size

Four Cycle Shifters

Information & questions about the NTK club organization and track.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Four Cycle Shifters

Postby Greg Masterman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:01 pm

I have heard 4 cycle shifters are used in road racing. Does anyone now of a kart called the Exciter, 225cc yamaha six speed on a slightly larger frame. What would the ramifications be be if only a few folks want to race them. Does SWRA, IKF, WKA even have them as a class. They are fairly inexpensive compared to new two cycle shifters but I'd only want to run by myself only so often.
Greg

Why Race to Your Next Oil Change?
AMSOIL Independent Dealer http://www.TruLube.com
Lubricants for DIESEL/GAS/Powersports/Lawn and Garden
Greg Masterman

Postby Frank Clark » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:44 pm

I've not seen any success with 4-cycle shifters. In fact I've **heard** they tend to go boom quite often. Speculation is the oiling system is not up to the g-force karts experience.

This is all based on the 4-cycle motos *and* this is mostly third hand so take it with a grain of salt.

I can tell you that a 4-cycle moto is EXPENSIVE. Both to purchase and when it needs work. There are a ton of parts in one compared to a 2 cycle. And if one of those 5 valve makes contact with the piston... big bucks!

A 125 stock moto cost less up front new than a used 250F setup. And I'm quite sure it cost less to run. If you do your own work, I expect a 125 stock is cheaper to run than a rotax (though $1000 more up front).

Now if you have some other motor in mind, disreguard all of the above.
Frank Clark (Dad)
Chris Clark (#8 Mini-Max)
Frank Clark

4 cycle shifter class

Postby Greg Masterman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks Frank,

The motor is a yamaha 225cc 6 speed good for 300hours. Total kart price is about 6300$ new. just about 25hp lots of torque. Plus, since I seem to be middle of the road in rotax maybe I can do good in a class such as this. A win win so to speak.
Greg

Greg Masterman

Postby Brandt Lucido » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Greg,we ran our our 125 stocks (aprox 34-35 hp) against some 4 stroke Honda 250's at Eagle canyon last year and they did have lots of torque out of the turns but no match! Overhead cam motors are verry expensive when they come apart,Stock honda is the way to go, our piston and ring are about $65, come join the gang,we are trying to build this class and with all the publicity it is recieving next year at Rock island ,I think it will be the class to run,.mods and Icc getting to expensive! Brandt Lucido
Brandt Lucido

4 cycle shifter class

Postby Greg Masterman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 am

Brandt, Thanks for the info. This may not be the way to go, yet. But, though it's been said before, 2cycle engines will eventually be replaced by 4cycle engines.
I can't keep up with you guys anyway!
I'll be waitng for a while before I make to many changes, unfortunatley the government bailout is bypassing me.
Greg

Greg Masterman

Postby Brandt Lucido » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:29 am

Greg, I agree there will eventually be 4 strokes roaming the planet,but the stock 125 s4 class is like the masters class,weight is 420? i think,you would take to it like a duck on water ,socks on a rooster, ya know!
Brandt Lucido

Postby Frank Clark » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:42 pm

Greg,

I've got a 125 shifter if you want to give it a try. I've not had it out to the track yet, but can tell you it's way faster than the Rotax (I've got a thousand feet of driveway :D ).

BTW, I sent you an email just a minute ago...
Frank Clark (Dad)
Frank Clark

Postby Frank Clark » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Hey, we forgot one REAL IMPORTANT point.... The 4-stroke shifters sound cool!
Frank Clark (Dad)
Frank Clark

4 cycle shifter class

Postby Wayne Riedel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Hey all:
Why are we trying to add another class to the already stressed schedule? :? We already, with the help of yani mae( :D thanks),and the support of the other women that wanted a class for the lighter weight racers. And now after working all year, they have killed the opertunity for year end awards, as the class will be short on entries. Some other racers pulled out when not winning - they jumped ship for another class or want a new class. wayne
Wayne Riedel

4 cycle shifter class

Postby Greg Masterman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:28 pm

I think Waynes right, to many classes have been the big problem with karting. From the responses I've got 4cycle shifters may not even be approved as a class at the rules meeting. Shoot I don't even have the money to pay attention. Oh well, once I can drive my Rotax you guys in the hondas better watch out!
Greg

Greg Masterman

Return to NTK Track Forum