It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:52 am

Text Size

non member practice question..

Information & questions about the NTK club organization and track.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

non member practice question..

Postby Lyndon Bedford » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am

i am not an NTK member yet, though i am planning on becoming one pretty soon. things are just a little tight right now and it's been all i could do to get my kart in order to start racing. i wanted to see if is possible for me to come out and practice this friday night even though i'm not a member yet. i am planning on racing this weekend and would really like some track time prior to race day. would this be possible.

i am going to able to get my membership before spring 4, i think. i just really wanna race this weekend...

also, where can i find all the tech info/rules for the yamaha heavy class. i looked through the rule book and couldn't find anything other than basic info. i was hoping that i could get a whole breakdown of what would be required for my kart to pass tech inspection.

thanks in advance for any input received!! see ya'll this weekend! :twisted:
Lyndon Bedford

rules

Postby Lori Richardson » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:20 am

Lyndon,
Unfortunately, our rules do not allow non members to practice except on race days. So, Friday night practice is out until you are able to join.
However, the good news is that we race Saturday night and the track is open to non members on race day. That means that as soon as a member is there to open the gate on Saturday you can get on the track and have the day to practice.
I know we are planning to camp at the track Friday night, so we will be up and able to open the gate early Saturday morning, probably by 8:30 or 9.

The technical rules are available in the KART rulebook, which would be hard to come by before the weekend. The safety tech you have to pass this weekend is not that specifically called out in the rulebook though. I can't tell you all the points to that, but I know a few pieces and I am sure some others can jump in with more input on it.
Beyond that, you will also want to make sure you are meeting the specs of the class so that you are eligible to race.
I'll include all the points that come to my mind and hopefully someone else will fill in the gaps.

Safety:
Helmet will be checked for Snell 2000 rating sticker (inside the liner)
all the steering components have to be safety wired
If you have weight on the kart, it must be painted white and then double nutted on a 5/16th inch thick bolt (or thicker)
you must have bodywork or nerf bars blocking the area between front and rear tires.
you must have a number panel on all 4 sides of the kart with your number clear and visible.
Since you are a rookie at the track, the rear number has to be on an orange panel
the brake key has to be secured (not sure how they require that)
in Yamaha, you must have a 3rd bearing and it must be safety wired
This year you are supposed to show your fire extinguisher at the safety tech to prove you have one in your pits

Other:
You will need to be on MG yellow tires or will be DQ'd
For Yamaha Heavy, you will need to weigh at least 360 between you and the kart
You will have to have the rest of your safety gear (high top shoes, neck collar, and gloves) but that isn't required at safety tech just for the race

I hope that helps.
If you have other Yamaha Heavy specific questions, ask. I am sure one of us can answer for you.

Lori Richardson
Lori Richardson

Postby George Kraus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Lori is dead on everything except you don't have to have MG yellows in Yamaha Heavy. You Just have MG tries any compound. Weigh 360 lbs driver and kart. Any clutch wet or dry. Basic stock internals / carb on a Yamaha KT100. No alcohol motors.
If you need any more help call me. 972.254.1068 after 6:30
Driven faster,
George Kraus
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Return to NTK Track Forum