It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:49 am

Text Size

MG Yellows - 2 races and they are done??

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Postby Bert Rupp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:34 am

OK... so what am I doing wrong?
We got two weekends out of a set of MG Yellows and then they were gone. Not so much that the tread was gone but more like hard and worthless. Possibly the first 'cold' night race was giving us a problem and we could not generate any heat in the tires. Maybe if it was a 'hot' 90 degree summer night, it would be different. The Bridgestones did not seem to be so finicky. Also to be honest here, we are running a 300 lb kart now instead of the 235 lb kart we ran last year.

Anybody else struggling with the 'cold' night race setup?
Bert Rupp

Postby Mark French » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:54 am

Bert, MG’s can sometimes get a crust on the top side and will be knocked off the next time you go out. You might try running lower air pressures. You shouldn't be above 12 or 12.5 psi (cold) unless the temp outside is below 60 degrees. We have run our MG's to the cords and they prove to be almost as fast as a new set (nothing compares to a new set of tires no matter what brand.) Also try wrapping (Plastic wrap) your tires after a race. This will help preserve the rubber and help prevent that top layer hardness. Stop me the next time you see me at the track and I can use a derometer to check the rubber as well.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark French
vwrod1@hotmail.com
Mark French
NTK Member

Postby George Kraus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Mark,
Maybe you can help me out too. Kart is tight as heck. Took out the rear bar, the middle bearing, wide as I can get, air pressure 12 to 14 psi. Planing on putting the off set to the outside by 1 more inch wheels on this weekend if I get a chance. Work is swamping me. The MGs are really different to me. Any more ideas would be welcome. Bob Preston is smoking me.
Thanks for the help.
Driven faster,
George Kraus
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Postby Brett Wohlferd » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm

I found on their website where the recommended pressure of 11.60 (+/- 3.0 lbs), I bet there are totally new pressures from what has been run in the past. I over-inflated mine and caused super loose conditions of course being a rookie I had nothing to go by on pressures anyway. Mine were bought used and hard as a rock. I'm going to try running 10-11 lbs. the next time out and try .25 lb changes.....until i wear them out or give up on this set.
Brett Wohlferd

Postby George Kraus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:25 am

Mike Jones talked to me about the tight condition and pointed out some more changes I should make to free it up.
THANKS MIKE !! :D
Driven faster,
George Kraus
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Return to General Karting