It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Text Size

Track tear out

Information & questions about the NTK club organization and track.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Re: Track tear out

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 am

Philip,

The Fall 1 Oct 17th race has been cancelled - see the schedule.

We are behind schedule because of the recent rain. The track is not paved yet. When the weather cooperates they will pave. We posted an update on 10/03 on the Home page. As soon as the track has been paved, cures & the after paving work has been completed the track will be ready. We will continue to post updates as the progress is made. Members & racers help will be needed for the post paving work to get the track ready for use.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Philip Meadows » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:09 am

Does that mean that we will race this year? For the tract being closed this long, will my membership be extended since i'm not able to use it in any way?
Philip Meadows

Postby George Kraus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't think we are going to race on the new track untill mid November. The weather is just killing us. With all the rain and time needed to put the tires back, crash bags in place, backfill the curbs, and get the AMB scoreing loop installed. We had all of 4 people show up to help at the last work day , all that work will take a while to get done. That's not even doing the striping, putting out grass seed along the edges of the track and putting the barrels back in place. However the biggest issue is the wet ground.

Damn it. :cry:
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Postby Bob Schabel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Phillip, we are cancelling the Oct 17th race due to weather delays and repairs (wiring for the lights needs to be repaired). We will decide tomorrow night at the Board of Directors meeting if and when we can run a race. I hope to get at least the Novemeber 15th race in as this is the one we are promoting during the Texas Motor Speedway NASCAR race.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Philip Meadows » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:01 pm

I became a member on 08-15-09 and was told that the track will be closed for a month at the most.so since the track will be closed longer, will all members including my self be credited the time that we are missing since the track is taking longer than we were told? If I would have known that it would have taken this long I would have waited and saved my money.
Philip Meadows

Postby Bob Preston » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Phillip,
I apoligize that you have not gotten to use the track yet....please know that your fellow members are just as eager to get out there including those that have stepped up to help with the track refurbishing. I will bring your unique situation and request up at the Directors meeting tomorrow. If you like, you are welcome to attend the meeting yourself, it will be held at 7pm at the Fuddruckers in Grapevine near the Bass Pro shop (hwy 121 and Bass Pro drive.
A couple of things to remember though. Your membership is good through February and if we moved your start date to the months the track is open it may not be much different but every bit helps.
Please do not speak for all members as I for one have purchased my membership knowing the track would be out of service and I know that we can do little about weather delays. Believe me the first ride on new asphalt will make it worth the wait (until the new asphalt chews up a set of tires).
Hope to see you at the meeting!
Regards,
Bob Preston
Bob Preston

Postby Don Goldston » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Just curious: how long is the cure time for the track, and yes, I know there are other things to be done before the track is ready/safe for driving on.
Don Goldston

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm

I don't know. We have been told that it is a special high temp, high compression compound that needs very little cure time but I think we want to err on the side of caution as we have learnt from other tracks that if you race on it too soon it can pull the asphalt back up. Both Katy & Tulsa had this problem after their tracks were paved.

Maybe Keith Bartholomew can give us an idea.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Keith Bartholomew » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:39 pm

The cure time is very short for the asphalt, maybe a couple of days. Cure time is not what we are challenged with at this time.

The first portion of the work being base prep and curbing went very well. We dodged many bullets with mother nature. Now she has brought a challenge to us with all this rain. I don't want to hurry the project along now with the saturated soil. If we have several days of drying and it looks like we can pave myself along with the paving contractor want to make sure the base we prepared is dry enough to support the asphalt paving machine and trucks. If we get on the surface to soon that will break up and cause damage to the base.

I wish that we could have kept the schedule we started with and we were maybe a couple of days behind until the rain set in. But this last portion has been very trying. We all need to be patient and the weather will change. The contractor is as eager to finish as we are to get back to racing.
Keith Bartholomew
NTK Member

Postby Keith Bartholomew » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 pm

I made a visit to the track today although we have suffered another set back by the weather I was pleased to see that there has been member participation IE painting and organizing the tires. This was a great feat since what we pulled out seemed to be trash. We will see a day when pavement will be in place. Thanks again to all who participated in the tire enhancement process.
Keith Bartholomew
NTK Member

Postby Lori Richardson » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:48 pm

I ended up at the track today, and they had started paving. It looks like they started just outside turn 9 and had made it to turn 1 before we left.
The pictures are from my phone, so they are a bit grainy, but they show some of the progress.
091104_114456.jpg
091104_114456.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
091104_114014.jpg
091104_114014.jpg (113.49 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
091104_113733.jpg
091104_113733.jpg (126.5 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Lori Richardson

Postby Grant Raymond » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Great to see that they are making progress. With the track already being paved what it the estimated time that it will take to finish if the whether is good? Is their a specific date that we will be able to practice?
Grant Raymond

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:08 am

Grant,

We just had a club meeting tonight. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done before the track can be used. Tires need to be put in place, grading needs to be done, back filling around the track, curbs painted, winter rye grass seeded (grass will need to grow also). There is no date yet that the track will be open for practice. Work dates will be scheduled to get all the work completed. The track will be opened after the work is completed & some grass grows & the track cures. I guess an opening date will be scheduled after the work gets completed. The next work day is scheduled for Nov 14th there may be one scheduled before that check the website for dates.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Previous

Return to NTK Track Forum