It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Text Size

Clone motors

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Kevin Crowe, Daniel Esparza

Re: Clone motors

Postby Mike Urbanski » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:59 am

That is awesome you all got to get out and test a little. Not bad times for for first time with a $300 motor and old tires.

I bought jet sizes 37-40 from ARC when I ordered my kit. Then I just drilled out the stock jet to 36. They are only $4 a piece, seeing as that is the only thing you can change went ahead and just bought them.

Question: Did you all hook up a remote kill switch?

Thanks for the update.

Mike
Mike Urbanski

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:35 am

Mike,

I think there is a kill switch. Is that the red On/Off switch on the engine?

There is also another switch that turns the gas off.

We are putting another Chonda kart together so we can practice together. We just need it to warm up a bit now!
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Mike Urbanski » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Yea the red switch would kill the motor but hard to get to. I think I am going to mount a remote kill switch that is easy for me to get to and anyone else that might need to. Old oil sensor wire is a good place to wire in new remote kill switch.

I think I found a chassis for the clone, finally. Then I just need motor mount and clutches. And warmer weather!

Mike
Mike Urbanski

Postby Clark Houser » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:50 pm

I am brand new to racing and was wondering if anyone knows of a good deal on a chassis to go with a chonda motor.
Clark Houser

Postby Mike Urbanski » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Clark
I am new to all of this also. Took me awhile to find one I was willing to buy. But I am online a lot looking at different things. I don't know of any right now, but if I see one that might interest you I will send you the link. I saw in one of your other posts that you would be looking to purchase closer to the summer, this true? Things are starting to pick up for sale wise.

Mike
Mike Urbanski

Postby Charles Pou » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 pm

I got mine mounted on the kart and fired up. Will probably be ready to come out in 2 weeks or so. I can run Clone or Animal.

I was pretty impressed with the quality of my Harbor Freight Clone. I have a generation 5 Animal and the Clone appears to be comparable quality even better in some areas. The Animal is a better engine (better carb, rod, cam, flywheel, ignition, piston, etc) but I paid over $400 more for it and I think it's worth it.

For my Clone, I got everything in the kit piecemeal, because I already had a fuel pump and liked the Gecker pipe and chain guard better. After I got the pipe, they call it the weenie pipe, I didn't like it and sent it back. I didn't like the chainguard either, but kept it.

I plan to get a header from Kam and run the stock air cleaner (that's the way they run it at Kam and 3D Raceway, Haskell, OK that I may race at from time to time too). The header sounds better, more like a racing engine and with the stock air cleaner you can run the stock jet. Be interesting to see if the aftermarket air cleaner and larger jet gives more power. On 4cycle.com I read the weenie pipe gives no gain over the stock muffler and lots of folks don't like it.

As I understand it, the valve springs are the limiting factor that keeps the rpms down. The stock cam makes the power at low rpms, so you don't want to turn much over 5000 anyway. I think the engine is pretty cool just stock and I am looking forward to running it. By the way, on an 1/8 mile dirt oval, they look pretty fast especially at my age and for what they cost.

Yaani-Mai, if you get a chance, try a smaller clutch driver and run on the short track and report back. John Ray, myself and maybe some others want to run the short track. :-)
Charles Pou

Postby Greg Masterman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 pm

This should be an interesting class. I hope it grows, as it may attract new racers.
Greg

Why Race to Your Next Oil Change?
AMSOIL Independent Dealer http://www.TruLube.com
Lubricants for DIESEL/GAS/Powersports/Lawn and Garden
Greg Masterman

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:57 pm

Charles,

Yes, OK. It sounds like most want to run the short track so I will change the driver & gearing for that & try it out. I am waiting for it to warm up to go back out to test some more. I only went out that one time.

Gene doesn't like the pipe that comes in that ARC Racing kit either. It gets really, really hot & sticks up & is a burn hazard. He says there are others that don't stick up like that but point down. Today we got a package in the mail of a few different exhaust insulation wrapping fabrics. We are going to wrap that little exhaust pipe & hopefully prevent anyone from getting burnt on it.

I plan on bringing my Chonda to Spring 1. Dan Esparza is bringing his Animal. We can run them all together on the short track. It sounds like fun, I am looking forward to it. I just hope it warms up by then. Brrr.....

If anyone needs one I have a Harbor Freight coupon to buy one right now for $109.99. It expires Feb. 25th. PM me your address if you want me to mail it to you or call 972-462-8393.

If you can wait you can buy it for $90 March 12 though 14 That's a $70 savings!
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tab ... ET&simple=
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Charles Pou » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

Hello Yaani-Mai,

I forgot to thank you for the coupon you sent. Worked like a charm. I also bought another engine with the 20% off coupon you sent, was only $4 more, so I have 2 engines 1 for $99.99 and 1 for $103.99. The new sale in Mar for $89.99 sounds ridiculous for what you get. I thought for sure you would never get one for $99.99 again. Last time I was in the store the regular price was $159.99, a very reasonable price IMO.

More bad news for the weenie pipe, since it gets so hot it doesn't last very long and burns out. If you want to run the weenie pipe, I understand you should have a few on hand for spares, LOLs.

May I suggest getting a pipe from KAM. There are a bunch of clones running that pipe at dirt tracks with good results. I have seen it myself and plan to get one next time at KAM. Sorry, I don't know the part number, but think Robertson Torque Tube makes it. Fits on the engine curving away from the driver, has a nice sound, I think Mike sells it for $35, I want one.

I too am looking forward to better weather. I guess we need it, but all the rain is getting old. :-)
Charles Pou

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Charles,

We wrapped our pipe with insulating material & it reduces the temp greatly but it still gets hot. Gene has solved the problem though. He is used to working with metals & devised a process to safely bend the pipe without damaging it so it now points down & away from the driver so it is not a hazard anymore.

I think we are going to try to go to the track tomorrow to practice! :D
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Here are some photos of the muffler support Gene made.
chonda_exhaust1.jpg
chonda_exhaust1.jpg (84.44 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
chonda_exhaust.jpg
chonda_exhaust.jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:42 pm

After talking to ARC Racing about their pipes they have now changed the design & all kits will come with the exhaust pipe pointing down instead of up. I talked to Rodney Berryhill yesterday & he has already received some of the new style pipes.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Mike Urbanski » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Yea a have a small burn spot on my jacket from yesterday. Now I need to go buy another pipe. Yea!
Mike Urbanski

Previous

Return to 4-Cycle