It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Text Size

Spring 3 Race

Discussion forum for Yamaha classes.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Spring 3 Race

Postby Chris Abts » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:40 am

Was not able to attend the Spring 1 race but saw that there looked to be primarily 2 classes (Master Can & Sr. Super Sportsman).

I would like to join the larger field, what is the preference for this race?

If all yami's selected one class we could have 8 or better in the field.
Chris Abts

Re: Spring 3 Race

Postby Shae Nault » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes I agree we should combine the classes...just run sr sportsman w/me :)
Shae
Shae Nault

Postby Greg Masterman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:57 am

Master Can Chris...Master Can...Maasterr Caaan...MaaasterCaaaaan....
Greg

Why Race to Your Next Oil Change?
AMSOIL Independent Dealer http://www.TruLube.com
Lubricants for DIESEL/GAS/Powersports/Lawn and Garden
Greg Masterman

Postby Brian Threadgill » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:33 pm

The only reason the classes are separated is because of an age limit on Master Can. There are currently three Yamaha drivers that are under the age limit for the Master Can class. I agree all Yamaha can classes should be combined. The more the better.
Brian Threadgill
Riedel Racing #8's
Brian Threadgill

Postby Mathew Souza » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:38 am

I agree! Until the numbers grow there is no reason to run the two classes. We ran one class for the winter series. It was successful and we had the largest class. With the numbers we have now they are to close in specs to separate them at this time. On another side note I also feel that the controled practice sessions need to be separated more. No reason for Yamahas to be on the track with shifters and Rotax. "Senior practice" is just to large with to much of a difference is speed. For safety reasons mostly. Yamahas are just in the way for the shifters and Rotax/Tag classes.
How about for example:

A) Yamahas Junior/Senior Supersportsman, Master Can and Yamaha Heavy
B) Rotax Junior, Senior Rotax, Rotax Master, all Tag
Classes.
C)Shifters

"Just my 2 cents"
Mathew Souza
TEAM CORE KARTING
TAG MASTER #33t
CRG KT1
Parilla Leopard
Mathew Souza
NTK Board Member

Postby Chris Abts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:50 am

Matt, I agree on the practice. I would prefer to practice with Yamaha's. Rotax has to deal with slower traffic all the time and does not get in quality laps.
Chris Abts

Postby Greg Masterman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 am

Sorry all, I disagree. A masters class is highly appropriate for older adults. We have Masters classes in each of the other adult groups. Its a popular class throughout the USA and allows older karters to race competitively with their peers. This creates interest in our sport with older drivers. They in turn will spill that excitement onto their friends and family, gaining even more racers in all classes. Telling my peers I race with people my age ads legitimacy to the idea we are "real" racers.
I agree that the yamahas are slower during practice. The problem is its hard to get enough "controlled practice" as it is.
Faster drivers need to remember racing includes passing in a safe and controlled/predictable manner regardless who is in front of them. I'd like to see more emphasis on this aspect of racing verses pure speed during practice.
Greg

Why Race to Your Next Oil Change?
AMSOIL Independent Dealer http://www.TruLube.com
Lubricants for DIESEL/GAS/Powersports/Lawn and Garden
Greg Masterman

Postby Mathew Souza » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 am

This is whats about forums are all about. Letting members respectfully getting there ideas and feelings out. Greg I agree with your ideas and feelings. "BUT" As we all know the current economic times and numbers in membership and numbers of racers should take precedence. If we already have "adults" racing in the Senior Sportsman class why would we not have them race with us? Their speeds, lap times are the same as ours? We dont have to try and ecourage them to race. They are already here! Why should they race with one or two others in there class? As economic situation improves with time. When numbers of racers in classes increase than we adapt to the situation. And as far as respect for others goes, we all better have it on and off the track. Just dont think a 47 second kart belongs on the track with a 37 second Kart? The closing speeds are to great. We have several new racers in in M C Yami. Do they really need to be on the track at the same time with an S3 Shifter? We have enough time in our racing day to split up the senior controlled practice. Open practice should be open practice. Controlled practice is about getting the setup right for the race. Hard to do with 9 plus classes at such different lap speeds on the track at the same time.
Again,
"Just my 2 cents"
I know, I know. It's probably worth less.
Mathew Souza
TEAM CORE KARTING
TAG MASTER #33t
CRG KT1
Parilla Leopard
Mathew Souza
NTK Board Member

Postby Chris Abts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 am

Ultimately I want to be safe and have fun. As I'm new to racing in general I can only speak to what I have seen at my time at NTK.

In the controlled practice, I'm more comfortable now but on my first day I cause problems for others and at least twice.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt and I see potential for it with combining Rotax, Shifter, and Yamaha in controlled practice. Not to mention chances taken during practice time could impact multiple race classes if there is an accident.
Chris Abts

Postby John Flores » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:08 pm

I think all of you guys have made some valid points for and against. I do agree that we have too many Yamaha Senior classes but I also understand the reasons behind each one of the added Yamaha classes over the past couple of years. It would be nice if we all picked / agreed, on one class and raced together. At the minumum I would say that all of the senior Yamaha classes should be run together and grid set by qualifing time. I think this is how we / club decided to run all of the 125cc classes(non shifters) and grid them according to the qualifing time at the last race. The only problem would be if one driver was going to run in 2 different classes. I really enjoyed watching all of the Rotax/Tag classes on the track at the same time(Masters,Seniors, and Juniors)last race. Much more action on the track, someone to race no matter what your position. I think there was 15 or 16 karts on the track. I am sure if there were any spectators at the track the really enjoyed the action! This is just my opinion. See you at the track!

John
John Flores

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:16 pm

I agree with Matt, Chris & Brian on this issue.

If all the Rotax & TAG classes can be combined why can't all the Yamaha classes be combined?

There is a big speed difference between the Yamaha Heavy & the Chonda class. The Yamaha Heavy & Sr Sportsman classes should be on the track with the Master Can class.

While it isn't a big issue now that there aren't very many Chondas it will be more of an issue as that class grows. I guess that problem will take care of itself when there are more than 7 entries it will qualify as a class by itself.

We built a kart with a Chonda on it & have sold it this past week to some one who is going to become a new member. Michael Johnson sold a kart last week with a Chonda on it. Mike Urbanski is a new member & he & his daughter already have Chonda karts & will be racing soon. We know of two more people that are assembling Chonda karts.

It is taking a while for these people to assemble their karts & get seat time to be comfortable to enter a race.

Once the class actually gets started (and is not just the Gaddy Family :) ) it won't be a good idea to have an entry level class with novice drivers on the track at the same time as the Yamaha heavy & Senior Sportsman class. It will be very intimidating for new drivers to have a Yamaha or Sportsman driver flying by them at such a large speed difference.

The Yamaha classes should obviously be on the track together at the same time.

I am not complaining about being on the track with the Yamaha Heavy & Sportsman class. I know they are very good & considerate drivers but like Matt says it is not a good idea because of the speed differential.

While it isn't an issue now I am just giving you a heads up because it is something that will have to be addressed as the Chonda class grows.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby George Kraus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:18 am

If Master Can is raceing under the Pea Pick format, which they want to do, it is their own race and should not be combined. 12 lap Final vs. 8 lap final. No qualifing for Master Can, they start racing from the get go. 3, 8 lap races vs. 5 minute qualifing, 8 lap heat race and a 12 lap main.
Thats why they are seperated form the other Yamaha classes.
Pea pick is what they want to do, and they can.
Doctor say that I can go drive, check the bloodpressure and LET'S SEE.

Whoot!!!!!!!!!
George Kraus
NTK Newsletter

Return to Yamaha