It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Text Size

An Introduction!

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

An Introduction!

Postby Aaron Kobayashi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Aaron, I live in Dallas, and I'm interested in learning more about Karting and NTK.

I've been a Gran Turismo fan for as long as it's existed, and always wanted to learn to race, but always found that it would be prohibitively expensive. I also have never had either the extra space or a car that I can work on without fear of being stranded if I broke something. As such, I recently discovered this crazy sport you call karting, and am interested in seeing what it's all about. It looks like it really could satisfy my desire to drive around corners fast, while not breaking the bank.

So the purpose of my post is twofold; one to introduce myself, and two to ask you all for suggestions on how I can both learn about the sport, and take steps toward getting behind the wheel.

Thanks Everyone,
Aaron K.
Aaron Kobayashi

Re: An Introduction!

Postby Brandon Johnson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Aaron,

My name is Brandon and I have a son who is in kid karts. There may be others who can answer questions better than I about certain classes but one of the best things to do is come out and see us race. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. There is a good budget class called Chonda which is not the fastest but it is growing and competitive. All of it is fun.

We can give you a pass to come out to the track. The track is just north of the intersection where I35E and I35 W come together.

Our next race is next weekend the 24th at 1:00 and it is going to be exciting. We are having a special shifter race and I believe a special Chonda race.

Nice to meet you,
Brandon Johnson
Brandon Johnson
NTK Member

Postby Aaron Kobayashi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi Brandon,
>I have a son who is in kid karts.
I noticed from looking around that it seems like there's a whole lot of kid talk on here. I obviously don't have anything against kids, but maybe I got the wrong impression of karting. Do adults race or is this really only for kids?

>We can give you a pass to come out to the track. The track is just north of the intersection where I35E and I35 W come together.

Cool, I'll have to check my schedule, but that could be fun. Do you all haul your kart out there every time there's a race?

Nice to meet you too!

AK
Aaron Kobayashi

Postby Brandon Johnson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Aaron,

No this is not just kids. It is for all ages. I just got into it with my son.

Great to hear you will be out there. This next race will be a fun one.

Brandon
Brandon Johnson
NTK Member

Postby Lori Stine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi Aaron!

Yes, please come out to the track and watch and ask lots of questions. Many of us got into karting because of our kids, but have gotten into ourselves. My husband is now looking at a kart for himself because of our son.

Here is a listing of classes we offer for adults:
Senior Super Sportsman - Yamaha KT100 engine with a 4-hole restrictor can
Yamaha Master Can - Yamaha KT100 with a 4-hole restrictor can - ages 32+
Yamaha Heavy - Yamaha KT100 with a pipe - ages 15+
Rotax Senior - Spec class with a sealed Rotax FR125 engine (also known as Senior Max and Rotax International)
Rotax Masters - Spec class with a sealed Rotax FR125 engine - ages 32+ or 16 & weight 190lbs+
TAG Senior - Spec class - various engines*
TAG Master - Spec class - various engines* - ages 32+ or 16 & weight 190lbs+
Stock shifter class
Chonda - Harbor Freight stock Honda 4-cycle clone engine**
Box Stock Animal - Sealed Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle engine***

Obviously a lot to look at and consider which is why it's important to come out. Like Brandon pointed out, as a first time visitor to the track, let the person in the gatehouse know you are a first-timer and we'll get you a free pit pass!!

Take care!
Lori Stine
Lori Stine
Hunter - Jr Shifter #671
Hadyn - Whatever Floats Her Boat Today
Lori Stine
NTK Secretary

Postby Aaron Kobayashi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for the info Lori & Brandon. I'll see you there this weekend! :)

Cheers,
Aaron K.
Aaron Kobayashi

Postby Greg Masterman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Aaron,

There are many classes off Karting to start out with. We have two 4 stroke classes, a beginner class that uses a very inexpensive engine called a "Chonda". Though some extra work is usually needed to get it race ready many new karters have chosen this engine to get going. The group of racers we have in this class are having a great time and get a real good idea of how important conserving momentum is if you are to be the fastest on the track. For 400-500$ more then the all up Chonda will cost you might consider the Briggs and Stratton "Animal" engine. This would be a stock motor with very limited if any modifications allowed making the driver the winner determiner. Then there are the two stroke engines. At NTK the Yamaha 100cc motor is very popular in Junior classes as well as two classes for older teens a younger adults as well as a class for older adult racers. Of course as with any sport, you can spend as much as you have, and other classes known as TAG (Touch and GO...self starting)engines from 2k on up are popular at NTK. Plan on adding at least 1000 to 4000 or more to the engine cost to cover the chassis and other parts. A good starting budget might be around 2k. Many used karts are available in that range and may include spare parts etc...
Come out to the track the weekend of the 23rd and 24th. We are expecting a large turnout in many classes which will give you a good overview of the types of racing we have available at NTK. By the way...I just got F1 2010 for XBOX 360 and its excellent!

See ya out there!
Greg

Why Race to Your Next Oil Change?
AMSOIL Independent Dealer http://www.TruLube.com
Lubricants for DIESEL/GAS/Powersports/Lawn and Garden
Greg Masterman

Postby Matt Stephenson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 am

Yeah, dont want to beat a dead horse, but again WELCOME!

I'm new myself, getting into karting as an adult but coming from some limited car racing. You hit the nail on the head, its too expensive!

The cool part of this club is that its very budget friendly, and there are plenty of people wanting to help out. There are kart classes for Every budget, and for Every speed that you want to go. You can do as much or as little as you want. All local racing or all the way up into nationals. Chonda is a nice competative and cost effective way to start if u havent raced before. same with Animals. You can go all the way up to shifters, which is said to be the closest thing to F1 under a million bucks you can get.
#14 S2 shifter
Indycar, Formula Mazda, kart, streetcar

http://www.stephensonracetech.com
Matt Stephenson

Postby Aaron Kobayashi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:02 am

Wow everyone, you guys are really friendly. I'm totally impressed by how cool/welcoming everyone is here. I'll definitely be coming out this Sunday (It is sunday at 1:00 right?).

Greg Masterman wrote:A beginner class that uses a very inexpensive engine called a "Chonda". Though some extra work is usually needed to get it race ready many new karters have chosen this engine to get going.

What kind of work am I looking at? I have to say, another part of this hobby that interests me is getting my hands dirty as a mechanic. I've always wanted to take apart my car, but given that this IS Texas, and not having a car means being dead in the water, I've always opted for a garage for anything more complicated than changing my windshield wipers. :oops:

Greg Masterman wrote: A good starting budget might be around 2k. Many used karts are available in that range and may include spare parts etc... We are expecting a large turnout in many classes which will give you a good overview of the types of racing we have available at NTK.

Great! I'm planning on it. If the event is anything like the forum, I'll presume that most people are friendly and I should just find someone who's not busy and introduce myself.

Greg Masterman wrote: By the way...I just got F1 2010 for XBOX 360 and its excellent!

I think they have that for the PS3 as well, but I'm holding out for Gran Turismo 5. I've always been a fan of how it goes to great lengths to be realistic (even if spinning out constantly while learning a new track/car is frustrating). Arcade racing is fun, but lacks depth and subtlety. You should take a look at some of the previews out there. It's looking incredible!

Matt Stephenson wrote:I'm new myself, getting into karting as an adult but coming from some limited car racing. You hit the nail on the head, its too expensive!

Glad to see I'm in good company!

Matt Stephenson wrote:Chonda is a nice competative and cost effective way to start if u havent raced before. same with Animals.

So far they sound the most intriguing to me, but I'll reserve judgement till I see it in real life. Even if they're not the fastest, I'm thinking that it could be more fun to focus on momentum and finding the line.

Matt Stephenson wrote: You can go all the way up to shifters, which is said to be the closest thing to F1 under a million bucks you can get.

Well, that sounds like fun too! :)
Aaron Kobayashi

Postby Chris Williams » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 am

Hello Aaron,

My name is Chris Williams and i am a long time member and currently on the Board of Directors. Welcome to the forums. As you can see we a are all pretty passionate about our club and this sport. As someone who has driven karts and some formula cars i can tell you that Karting is the very best value for your money.
Feel free to give me a call and i can answer any questions that you may have. my # is 214-243-6738. You can also meet me at the track on the 24th. Just ask around and you can find me.
Chris Williams
Chris Williams
NTK Track Manager

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Aaron,

The Chonda class is very affordable. You can buy a Honda clone from Harbor Freight for $129 right now & here is a link to a $20 off coupon
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/Si ... s/20_c.jpg

You can also purchase a 2-year extended warranty for an extra $20 & are guaranteed an engine to race with for 2 years. They will replace it if you return it within 2 years, no questions asked!

You have to remove the governor & oil sensor & put on a ARC Racing kit. In our NTK Chonda rules there is a link to a video that shows you how to do this yourself.

http://www.ntkarters.com/images/stories ... _Rules.pdf

We are an ARC Racing dealer & have the kits in stock, engine mounts, clutches, jets, gears etc... We come to all the races & bring our parts with us in case you need them at the track.

If you don't want to build your own engine my husband has built them for several members & charges the cost of the parts & $100 for labor.

Come by & visit this Saturday or Sunday. I am kart #32.

A 4-cycle or Yamaha KT100 class are all great entry level classes. Some people go straight to Rotax & do just fine also. Come out to the track, watch some races, talk to the drivers & see what interests you.

I am biased of course because I race in the Chonda class, but it is very affordable & all the parts are very inexpensive. Maintenance is extremely low so you will be spending most of your time on the track not working on your engine. It is a class we have started this year at NTK, it has instantly become very popular & is taking off like wild fire across the country because of the low cost, a lot of Bang for your Buck!

The Chonda has plenty of torque & is very similar to a Yamaha KT100 in the turns, it is slower on the straight though, about 50 mph compared to a Yamaha, about 60mph.

A lower horsepower engine is good to teach you how to be a smooth, consistent driver, necessary to keep your momentum up for a quick lap time, which makes you a better driver when you move up to a higher horsepower engine.

We are having the MJDrive Shifter Super Prix event Oct 24th & there will be plenty of racing action in other classes too! Everyone will also be at the track on Saturday for practice.

Come on out to the track this weekend & visit us!

Yaani-Mai
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to General Karting