It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:42 am

Text Size

2010 O'Reilly Indoor Kart Nationals

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

2010 O'Reilly Indoor Kart Nationals

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Don't miss watching the O'Reilly 2010 Indoor Kart Nationals in Batesville, MS over the Thanksgiving weekend.

They typically have 1,500 entries in 26 classes on Saturday Nov 26th & Sunday Nov 27th Thanksgiving weekend.

The total purse is over $85,000 with $20,000 awarded to one class on Saturday night!

The race has been broadcast on Speed & Versus in prior years and will be broadcast via webcam live on their website this year.

Be sure to go to http://www.onikc.com on Nov 26th & 27th to watch the races live!

I met the event promoter, Mr. Lanier James, of http://www.jampromotions.net when I was working the NTK booth at TMS and he graciously offered to air a 15 second NTK promo ad during the weekend!
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Re: 2010 O'Reilly Indoor Kart Nationals

Postby Bob Preston » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Yaani-Mai,
Thanks for posting this! We are located about an hour away so we decided to go. Not having been to a big four cycle event we were excited to see the karts that we were unfamiliar with. Basically there were Champs, lay down and unlimited karts with several classes each, except unlimited. I think just over 500 entries!
It proved to be very exciting to watch although a bit bizarre as we immediately noticed in practice and qualifying that contact was not only allowed it was the only way, it seemed, to get by someone on the little clay oval.
Then we got to the first race, jr champs I think, 20 laps with 5 cautions and all requiring a restart, and an injured kid. I thought this was going to be a long night. We then continued with more of the same for the next 5 or 6 races. We only saw the rolled black flag one time (driver pushed the kart in front all the way through the corner and into the barrier).
Then came the advertised money race 1/3 of the way through the schedule....I thought, $20K for 20 laps....how brutal is this going to be? Well to my pleasant surprise the senior pros put on an awesome show! 20, ten second laps with no wrecks and some of the best oval driving I had seen. It was worth the trip to see this one.
Then it was back to more of what we had seen earlier lots of ramming, nerfing, diving and retaliation, and sadly more injuries. We made it to 11:30pm and there were many races to go, but we were just not into staying...even though the unlimited class was the wildest thing we had seen, we just couldn't stay.
If you are into this style of racing it was an exciting thing to see for sure, but for me having watched five or six drivers either limp, slow shuffle or get carried off the track and many more busted karts…. It’s just not for us…..well with one exception, I brought an un-named relative who absolutely loved all the mayhem!
All-in-all it's worth seeing if you get the chance...
Bob Preston

Re: 2010 O'Reilly Indoor Kart Nationals

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Robert,

That is great you got to see it live. I have never been to a dirt oval kart race. It sounds very different to what we are used to at NTK. I think I prefer the strictly-no-contact sprint style of racing. It sounds like it is a lot safer & less expensive on equipment. Glad to hear one class relied on driving skills rather than demolition skills to win the big prize.

I guess that is why they have a lot of spectators at those events, everyone wants to see a train wreck. It sounds more of a spectator sport than race craft sport. I think I will stick to the sprint racing. I am glad NTK doesn't tolerate deliberate contact at our track.

Thanks for staying in touch & keeping us updated on what is happening in your part of the country. Hope you make it back to NTK again soon.

Safe racing!
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to General Karting