It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:23 am

Text Size

Just Registered - 9yr old son wants to race "Where to Start"

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Just Registered - 9yr old son wants to race "Where to Start"

Postby Joey Wheeler » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 am

Hello NTK racers, our family lives in Cedar Hill and my 9yr son Addison wants to do some go cart racing on asphalt not dirt and I understand NTK is the exclusive and premier facility in the DFW Metroplex. I know where the track is located because I have drag raced (i.e. street car) in Sanger before although I normally go to Ennis or Kennedale because they are closer to home.

I understand there are 3 more Winter races before the spring season begins. I would like to get set up and ready to go between now and the first spring race if that is feasible. We can probably race full-time Spring & Summer (we play football in the Fall) since looks like the races are on Saturday nights (daylight savings) or Sunday afternoons. Should we just come out on Saturday and watch, gather info and talk to some of the other families?

What class should we start with and what minimum equipment will I need and where can I get it (likely used versus new if that is a better deal). Also, how much do you estimate it will cost from a budget perspective the first two years with the ramp up in the first year? By the way, my wife drives an Escalade but I would prefer to haul our Cart trailer behind my Corvette lol. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to meeting everyone and getting started, Joey :)
Joey Wheeler

Re: Just Registered - 9yr old son wants to race "Where to Start"

Postby Brandon Johnson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:58 am

Hi Joey,

We have a race this weekend so come on out and see us. We are off I35 a few miles north of where I35 splits. Behind the drag strip and classic salvage yard. I am going to be in the gatehouse working registration so come in and ask for Brandon. Feel free to walk and talk to anyone we are a friendly group. There should be a few racers out there your sons age.

Brandon
Brandon Johnson
NTK Member

Postby Lori Stine » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi Joey,
I have a 9yr old son, too, who races in the TAG Cadet class at NTK. We'll be at the track this Saturday so please come find us and we'll be happy to give you all the low-down that we know!!
Lori Stine
Hunter - Jr Shifter #671
Hadyn - Whatever Floats Her Boat Today
Lori Stine
NTK Secretary

Postby Mike Engstrom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Hopefully you made it to the track. The TAG cadet class was quite strong in 2010, probably a good place to start, or the jr. 1 yamaha. I would not start out in the Rotax mini max JMO, typically more experienced drivers there. A nice used kart package is always a great way to start, there seems to be plenty available. Feel free to call me at the shop. 817-638-5278
Mike Engstrom

Postby Ron Foote » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Welcome to Karting - Our son just started racing competively and took second place in the Southewest Regional Cup racing with a kart that we now have for sale. (He just turned 12 and needed to change classes). The kart we have is complete with everything you need and ready to race! See below.

Good luck!

2010 Tornado Chassis with Tag 60cc Gazelle Race Engine Stealth Blueprint, Complete kart package, Ready to Race

Includes 10 lightly used sprockets, new 30 mm rear axle and set of side pods, used nose cone, 5 lightly to moderately used sets Bridgestone and 2 sets MG Yellow

New Package 1 year ago - $7000. Asking $3200. All offers considered. Contact Ron at: 830-798-5884 or cfoote@tstar.net.
Ron Foote

Return to General Karting