It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:53 am

Text Size

Body/seat rules?

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Body/seat rules?

Postby Matt Drottz » Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I am getting my kart ready to run in the Chonda heavy class and before I go a buy a new body or seat for the kart I want to know if there are any rules on the bodies/seats allowed? I have not been able to find any specifics for the Chonda’s and cannot find anything about Chonda’s on the IKF website. I own a fab shop and can easily make plastic side pods, etc, so long as the don’t need to be IKF stamped or something like that and as far as seats go, I’d much rather use a longer “lay down” seat then the traditional straight up road course seat, please let me soon before I waste any $$$

Thanks,

Matt Drottz
Matt Drottz

Re: Body/seat rules?

Postby John Ray » Mon May 23, 2011 9:02 pm

i believe the rules for the chonda class are as follows,the body work is required to be a side pod style with a nose piece cik style ,fairing with number panels on both sides, front and rear. the seat is to be a sit up sprint type. i hope this description helps you out.
john ray
J RAY
John Ray
NTK President

Postby Matt Drottz » Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 am

John, do the Chonda's follow an IKF body rule, or is this just a NTK rule for the class? Also are the rules printed on the the NTK website anywhere so I can print them? Thanks for the information. I have seen photos of other chonda road course classes that run the cone nose and it appealed to me for the added foot protection, would this not be legal?
Matt Drottz

Postby Bob Schabel » Tue May 24, 2011 9:38 am

Matt, since the NTK Chonda rules do not state a sprint kart body style rule, we fall back then to the IKF rule book that states "all 2 Cycle Sprint karts must have CIK style bodywork, nose, side pods, and driver fairing". It then goes on and describes the the parts in detail. Thus the cone nose would not be legal for Sprint style racing
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Matt Drottz » Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 am

Bob, thanks for the clarifation. I guess on the plus side, the body on my kart right now is a CIK style body, so that's money I save!!
Matt Drottz

Postby John Ray » Wed May 25, 2011 6:34 pm

matt, when we re incepted four stroke karts back into our line up they were briggs animals and we decided to not allow the fiberglass body work as you have noted. since then we have been racing the chondas under a set of rules that the guys dowh in katy originated. we then this year adopted the akra rules for our chondas, this way we are more acceptable to out of towners coming to our track that run those rules. again i hope this clarifies the rules. jr
J RAY
John Ray
NTK President

Return to General Karting