It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:34 pm

Text Size

Older guy getting started with lots of questions

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Older guy getting started with lots of questions

Postby Ron Harris » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:29 am

Hi everyone. Decided I might want to try some racing but need to know where to start.

I'm 44 years old and here's where there may be a problem--6'8" and 220lbs. I live right in Sanger so I'm super close to the track. I'm not sure what class would be appropriate for older guys just getting started, and if I'd actually be able to find a kart that would fit me to begin with. I'd probally want to be pretty competitive, but not so serious I travel everywhere.

So I guess to start, there must be some type of beginner driving classes or something where you don't actually have to buy a kart first to make sure things will work out, right? I'm fine with getting the helmet and other gear, but jumping right into buying a kart may not work. I'm sure this topic gets asked all the time, but thought by starting my own thread I could keep the info in one place.

Thanks for anyone's help in advance. Looking forward to having some fun.
Ron Harris

Re: Older guy getting started with lots of questions

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Ron,

The club has a Chonda kart if you would like to come out to a club race you can take it out for a few laps after a race.

Either the Yamaha or the Chonda class would be a great class to start out in.

Yamaha Heavy is 360lbs (you will probably be quite a bit heavier than that in this class). Yamaha Masters is 340lbs which you won't be able to get anywhere close to.

The Chonda class has a heavy class at 385lbs which will be closer to your weight.

The Chonda is a low maintenance, low cost & dependable sealed engine.

Why don't you come out to the track & talk to some racers in the various classes & see which class interests you?

If you tell them at the gate it is your first time out to the track you can get in for free.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Re: Older guy getting started with lots of questions

Postby Bob Schabel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Ron, I can help you out. I'm the VP of the club. Call me at 972-221-2567, and we can get you a test ride in the club Chonda kart, at a time thats convenient to you and I, rather at the end of a race day. Then we can talk about finding a kart for ya. Bob Schabel, 972-221-2567
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Return to General Karting