It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 pm

Text Size

Looks like fun

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Looks like fun

Postby Ken Nelson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:28 am

Hi, I've just recently taken an interest in karting and have been trying to understand if and how to get involved. Previous posts suggest comming out on race day yet racedays don't seem to be all that often. It also seems that Fridays are a practice day which may have alot of activity. I went to DKC last week and had alot of fun, yet I live alot closer to Denton. I'm an older guy who has driven sports cars and bikes all his life. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Ken Nelson

Re: Looks like fun

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:26 am

Ken,

There is a practice for members tonight. The gate will be open & you can go out there & talk to racers.

We have a race tomorrow night, qualifying starts at 6pm, racing about an hour later.

Come out & visit with the racers.

A great entry level class would be the Chonda or Yamaha class, depending on your budget & how much time you want to put into engine & clutch maintenance.

We have a club kart with a Chonda on it that you can take for a few laps, talk to the race director or Bob Schabel VP or John Ray, club president.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Ken Nelson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks for the info, You'll be seeing me out there asking questions soon.
Ken Nelson

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Ken,

I started the Chonda class last year as an affordable, dependable, low maintenance entry level class.

Everyone in the class has used chassis. If you get a good used chassis you can move up to a faster engine package if you decide you like it.

The engine only costs $130 stock & sealed ($180 is what most in the class have & includes advanced timing & a CL1 Improved racing cam, also sealed).

It's a spec sealed class so we are all equal. It's not the fastest class at NTK but we all have the same horsepower so it's all down to kart set up & driving skill. It has plenty of torque & feels a lot like a Yamaha in the turns, just doesn't go as fast on the straights.

We already have some racers in the class that are now good drivers & are thinking of moving up. If you learn to be a smooth driver & keep your momentum up in a lower horsepower kart you will be a good driver when you move up.

If you have any questions about the Chonda class post here or call me.

We affectionately call it Chonda because it is a Chinese Honda clone. The class has taken off all over the country & they just call it the Clone class everywhere else.

We have others in the class that have raced other cars previously. Bob Stretch races with us too when he is not racing his Trans Am in the SCCA Pro Racing Trans Am series. Several of us are in our 50's (including me :) )
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to General Karting