It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Text Size

Winter 1 Chonda

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Kevin Crowe, Daniel Esparza

Winter 1 Chonda

Postby Matt Wolfe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Wanted to see if anyone will be racing the Chonda Junior class during the winter series. My son and I just became members at the end of last year and he has a cadet kart with a kt100 on it but I was thinking of putting a Chonda on it for now so we can focus alot more on his driving than constantly tuning the motor. Any thoughts?
Matt Wolfe

Re: Winter 1 Chonda

Postby Matt Drottz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:01 pm

I will not be there, but I can say that the chonda is about as maintenance free as they get. I started with a KT100 as an adult and hated all the adjusting while i was trying to get used to driving, so for me, the chonda makes a lot more sense, besides, let him get is ability to drive figured out, then put the faster motor on there. Again, jmo.

Matt
Matt Drottz

Re: Winter 1 Chonda

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:15 pm

They are both great classes.

Chonda might be easier on Dad when he is learning to drive.

I learnt to drive in a Yamaha & I really wore Gene out when I would spin in turn 7 & kill the engine & he had to lug the starter all the way down the track to restart me! :oops:

I have spun countless times in my CHonda & the engine has never stopped. I just point it back on the track & step on the gas to get going again.

It would also be very good for him to learn to be a smooth driver in a lower horsepower kart. It's not as easy as it looks, to keep the momentum up through the turns you have to be very smooth, after he learns the lines & how to turn a quick lap in a lower horsepower engine he will be a better driver when he has more horsepower.

When you are first learning to drive & learning the lines everything comes at you pretty fast in a Yamaha. A Chonda gives you more time to think about what is coming up & more time to set your kart in the correct place going into a turn & also on planning where you wnt it to be coming out of a turn.

Yes, you are right. It is easier to learn how to drive & race in a lower horsepower kart.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to 4-Cycle