It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:10 am

Text Size

Newbie - Looking for Information

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Newbie - Looking for Information

Postby Matthew Inge » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:53 am

I have been looking around and doing some research, but want additional information on getting in to karting. I am in a position to get into the sport after having raced open wheel for the past several years. I want to get into a class where money is not the name of the game. Rotax seems to be where I would like to stay and hoping anyone can provide me with information on series, classes, chassis, etc.. (6'2" - 190 pounds - 23 years). I have not ruled out a new chassis, although it would be nice to find a good used one.

Also, are there any shops out there that would do an arrive and drive to get my feet wet? Looking to pull the trigger soon.

Thanks
Matthew Inge
http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
Never Forget VT 4-16-2007
Matthew Inge

Re: Newbie - Looking for Information

Postby Matt Stephenson » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Welcome! Always good to have more folks coming out.

There are several classes you might want to look into, depending on budget, speed desired, amount of work to do on the kart, etc. At NTK there are several classes that always have close, fun racing. Chonda, Yamaha, and Rotax. The chassis are similar in cost across those, but the engines are the difference. Cheapest is Chonda (sealed and very inexpensive), and Rotax is the most expensive (also sealed so must be rebuilt by dealers) The club has a Chonda kart you can test out to give you an idea of what you are getting into. HIGHLY recommend it.

I run shifter, which is just a touch faster than Rotax, but can be more expensive. depending what you are after, I can talk to you more about rotax vs. shifter. lemme know. many guys go rotax for the simplicity and fun. Bob, feel free to chime in. Again, welcome!
#14 S2 shifter
Indycar, Formula Mazda, kart, streetcar

http://www.stephensonracetech.com
Matt Stephenson

Postby Matthew Inge » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks Matt for the response. Im looking for a kart I can work on here at home and not be overly complicated or time consuming (why I originally thought Rotax). I see the other classes you mentioned and notice they are less expensive than Rotax, but are the as equal.

For above reasons and some addtl, I have ruled out shifters. Is Chonda a nationwide class? As I said previously, I have been in formula cars and is the reason I am looking to get away from that is due to the cost and being out-played in technology/cost.

Also, how much time do you normally put in between races?

Welcome to any more comments.
Matthew Inge
http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
Never Forget VT 4-16-2007
Matthew Inge

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:31 am

Hi Matthew,

Chonda is a great 4-cycle entry level class. It is an entry level class that has very little maintenance so you can concentrate on driving.

Yamaha is also a good entry level class costs more and will require more maintenance on the engine and clutch.

Rotax is faster & more expensive but is also less maintenance than a Yamaha.

We don't recommend the shifter class as an entry level class.

I recommend you start out with a good used chassis & a lower horsepower engine (Chonda or Yamaha). Try it for a season, learn to drive & turn fast lap times then upgrade to a faster engine package (Rotax or shifter).

If you start out with a lower horsepower engine (Chonda or Yamaha) and learn to be a smooth driver & can turn fast lap times by keeping your momentum up through the turns you will be a good driver if you decide to move up to a higher horsepower engine.

Believe me with a 1/2 mile track and 9 turns everything comes at you pretty fast and with a lower horsepower engine you have time to think about what you are doing, set up for turns etc...

The best thing to do is come out to the track on raceday & talk to drivers in the different classes about cost and maintenance and take a test drive in the club Chonda.

Feel free to call if you have any questions 972-462-8393

The Contact Us page also has the club officer phone numbers & class mentor phone numbers.

We look forward to seeing you at the track.

We have a race this Saturday, come out & visit us & if you mention it is your first time visiting the track and you are an NTK Facebook fan you will get a free spectator pass! :D
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Postby Yaani-Mai Gaddy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 am

They race clones all across the country. We call them Chonda's here (Chinese Honda clone) but they are normally referred to as the 4-cycle clone class or Box Stock Project. The idea behind the class is to keep everything stock to keep costs down. Here at NTK we have adopted the nationally accepted AKRA 2012 rules so we can race our clone karts anywhere in the country. I went regional racing in 2010 with my Chonda & raced at MSR Houston, Oklahoma Motorsports Complex and Gulf Coast Kartway. It is a lot of fun.

Yamaha is not a stock class, to be competitive you will have to have a blue printed engine.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Member

Return to General Karting