It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 am

Text Size

Kart safety suggestion.

Information & questions about the NTK club organization and track.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Kart safety suggestion.

Postby Robbie Floyd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

I heard at the last race that Caiden Mitchell lost/broke the nut on the comer 50 clutch during the race. Luckily the exploding clutch spinning at 11,000 rpm's didn't hit him. In the interest of safety, I believe that we should be running the clutch covers that are available. Our rules state that kid karts can't be revved in pit lane on stands or in the hot pit due to safety and the possibility that the problemed nut could break unexpectedly. If this is a safety hazard that IKF obviously knows about, (due to the rule changes about revving the motor) lets protect all drivers and their equipment while they are on the track where the motor is revving at it's highest and for the longest time. These things are like bombs if the clutch lets go. The clutch is on the drivers side, unlike many other karts and has no other place to go other that towards the 5-7 yr old arm and body that lies in the way. Even the fiberglass seat is no match to a metal object flying around at that speed and force. I bought a clutch guard for a little over $100 to help keep my kid as safe as possible. I suggest every parent run one as well for their kids on all inward facing clutches.
Robbie Floyd
NTK Member

Re: Kart safety suggestion.

Postby Bob Schabel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

good suggestion for all parents.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Re: Kart safety suggestion.

Postby Carlos Perez » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Is this one allowed? I don't see a reason why not, but want to make sure before getting it.

http://raceshop.kartinsider.com/Jex-Kid ... _p_15.html

Thanks!
Carlos Perez
NTK Member

Return to NTK Track Forum