It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Text Size

Guidance Help Please

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Kevin Crowe

Guidance Help Please

Postby Drew Walling » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:37 am

I have a 7 1/2 year old son who has been "racing" at Pole Position in Frisco for the last 3-4months. He has done really well there and absolutely loves it, so we are talking about doing this more seriously. I suppose the biggest question I have right now is what Kart would be best for him? Are certain Karts easier to work on, as Dad (me) is not that mechanically inclined... Is this site a good place to find used karts and all the gear that goes with?
He is right at 48" and 50#, so a little on the smaller side. He turns eight in June and ideally would like him to get into the spring series, as the winter series starts this weekend.
We are planning on coming out this weekend (weather permitting)to check it all out.
Truthfully, I am just as excited as he is, if not more!
Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Drew Walling
Drew Walling
NTK Member

Re: Guidance Help Please

Postby Leon Knox » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 pm

I am new to all this also but yes this is a great place for info and used karts. He would be at the end of kid kart wich if i am not wrong runs from 5-8 then you get into the cadet karts start i think 8 with verious motors not sure what would be best in that class but they have had a clone class with age limits and restrictors to lower the rpm of the engin and make it safe and the best thing about that engin is it is low cost race ready with bells and whistls around 400 for the engine new and basically change the oil and go wich is great on us dads. kid kart engines fron what i have seen new are around 900 up been loking. I have a new kid karter age 5 and my other daughter actually runs the clone/chonda as some call it just not many kids running it yet. adult class has been going stong. As for other classes not sure never worked on them and kinda intimidated to even try.I am sure others will chim in and help also I would say talk to the board and see if he can start in the cadet class so your not buying a kart for one year then upgrading again welcome and if you have questions on the clone i might be able to help a bit still new myself.
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Postby Drew Walling » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Thank you sir! That helps out. So the kart size should be for the 8-12 age group but the engines are interchangeable according to how developed the driver is, am I understanding that right?

Do you know when the races begin and end on Saturday, weather permitting? Thanks again!
Drew Walling
NTK Member

Postby Bob Schabel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Races begin with Qualifying at 1:00pm. The race will probably go to 5:00pm. If you stick around after the race we let spectators take rides in our demo karts. Some engines use restrictors on the engines for the kids and then as they get older the restrictors come off. Ask for Bob, NTK VP, and I will help answer your questions. Come early before 1:00pm and I can give a tour of the facilities.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Drew Walling » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks Bob! I ended up working most the day yesterday, made it to the track late yesterday afternoon to find it was postponed! We plan on coming out today, see you soon. Thanks!
Drew Walling
NTK Member

Postby Drew Walling » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Bob,
Thank you again for the tour. Matthew had an absolute blast, as expected. I look forward to finding him a kart and getting started out there!
Drew Walling
NTK Member

Postby Leon Knox » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 pm

great to see he injoyed anythughts yet on what class your going to have him start in
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Postby Steve Lewis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 pm

If your going into cadets, get a minirok engine package. They are a lot easier to tune than the gazelles. Also it can run at regional and national level races. The gazelle can't. This way as he progresses your son could run the Texas Prokart Series in the coming yrs.
stvwrnglr
Steve Lewis

Postby Bob Schabel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am

I would go with either Jr Chonda or or a KT100 engine package.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Postby Lori Stine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Don't you just love the input from everyone?! LOL!

Consider what you want to do. For the first year or two of racing, I would highly suggest that you focus on just club racing - learn, learn, learn first before considering racing in any Regional or National level events as suggested above. Too many ambitious parents throw their kids in to high level events way before they are ready.

NTK currently doesn't have much of a Jr Chonda offering, but if we can get more interested, it can grow. The Yamaha class is a little low right now, but again, can grow if more are interested. TAG Cadet (Gazelle) for the next year has about 6-7 kids with karts out practicing. We will be leaving that class, so I know a bit about that one. The drawback with getting a MiniRok for this class is that you would be the only one and would have to race under the TAG Cadet II class (would run in a group, but scored all alone - not fun for the kids).

Yeah, I'm biased, but I've also been in the Cadet waters for a few years. Good luck and let us know if we can help!!
Lori Stine
Hunter - Jr Shifter #671
Hadyn - Whatever Floats Her Boat Today
Lori Stine
NTK Secretary

Postby Drew Walling » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Ok, so want to make sure on something else. In the 8-10 year olds, in one particular group do all karts have to have the same set ups (motors)?

"Junior 1 - Yamaha KT100 engine or Comer K-80
TAG Cadet - Gazelle 60cc
Rotax Mini Max - Spec class with a sealed Rotax FR125 - ages 9-12
Rotax Micro Max - Spec class with a sealed Rotax FR125 - ages 7-10
Chonda Jr I - ages 8-10
Chonda Jr II -  ages 10-12"

Again, he (we) are brand new into this. I don't want him to be the only one on the track. So I guess need to know what setups are most popular at NTK?

Hope I understand this right, thanks again for the help! :D
Drew Walling
NTK Member

Postby Lori Stine » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:47 pm

It varies from year to year.

Last year, there were hardly any Rotax (Micro or Mini) at NTK. Doesn't mean that this year there won't be more. The same for the Jr Chonda. It was not existent at NTK last year. But there are one or two that I've heard floating around that would like to be in a class. The Jr 1 Yamaha uses the KT 100 and the TAG Cadet 1 (Gazelle) were the two bigger Cadet classes. We always ran together, but scored separately. As I mentioned previously, I've seen/heard of around 6-7 Gazelles with karts and at NTK practicing. Doesn't mean they'll all show up and race. The Yamaha parents will know more about what that class is doing. But everything changes from year to year.

The best bet is to go to the track during a race day. Spring 1 is March 9th at 1PM. Go watch. Ask questions. Everyone has an opinion. Pick the one that is best for you.
Lori Stine
Hunter - Jr Shifter #671
Hadyn - Whatever Floats Her Boat Today
Lori Stine
NTK Secretary

Postby Leon Knox » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:57 pm

should have a chonda jr2 by spring 3 just working a bit more with setup and work schedule but we should be racing by spring 3 like the enigines great for dad if your not up on engine work yet they don't have much you need to do to them and they are not to pricey just my opinion and you can use the same engine right up to adult if you realy wanted to just change the restrictor plate
Leon Knox
NTK Member

Return to General Karting