Tech tip

Discussion forum for Kid Kart classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Mike Engstrom

Tech tip

Post by Mike Engstrom »

Years ago when Kaley raced kid kart. There were nights when I thought other racers who were beating us were not legal or something was goin on. Well the problem was we hadn't paid our dues yet (not enough seat time). So my message is seat time is the key to success, you have to put forth the effort, and your driver has to do their job too. Until your driver can go around NTK at full speed (not lift) except turn three and a slight lift for turn seven you have not reached the karts potential. Here's a couple of tuning tips that helped us back then- 87 octane pump gas,8 ounces per gallon of castor oil, use an NGK BPMR7A spark plug and a tach is a must your motor should turn 10,800-11,300 (STOCK)
Jeff Mitchell

Re: Tech tip

Post by Jeff Mitchell »

Thanks for the tuning tips Mike. That is very good information.
I would add that a 58 jet works 99 percent of the time for us while using the K&N 1250 air filter. Keep it cleaned and slightly oiled. Also cleaning the carb regulary before or after each race weekend will only take 5-10 minutes but will help to keep the kart running at its best.I also clean the filter in the tank at this time and often check the gas cap for proper ventilation.

Finally, avoid running the Ethanol enriched pump fuels if at all possible. I find that it makes the motors run inconsistantly leaner, it is hard on aluminum, and it attracts water. You can search for stations that sell gas without the Ethanol at http://www.pure-gas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robbie Floyd

Post by Robbie Floyd »

And you can drive for hours to find one of these stations when you are out of state huh Jeff? What we do for these kids. Also a new set of tires work really well after they have figured out the most basic of driving skills. It's hard to put a time stamp on old tires, but you can run one set of new tires the whole year if you take care of them. The thing is with the old ones you never know how old they are and they lose their grip eventually. Generally it is better for a kart to be too hooked up than too loose. When the driver gets faster then you start making other changes to free it up. A kid that is constantly having to save it just to get around the track with any speed will take more time to get confident.
Matt Graybiel

Post by Matt Graybiel »

Does anyone have an IKF tech manual handy? I am looking for the spec's on exhaust and intake height for the comer c50? And any other measurements I would need for replacing a piston.

Thanks in advance!
Matt Graybiel
Jonathan Ewing

Post by Jonathan Ewing »

Matt,
Comer C51 622.51.3 Port height check: Install dial indicator onto cylinder and zero at TDC. Insert 3mm rod, no longer than 3.00" approximately 1/4" into appropriate port. Rotate piston until gentle contact is made. Release 3mm rod, it is to remain unsupported. Read dial indicator.

Exhaust: 1.200" minimum Intake: 0.370" maximum

Piston must be oem both skirts must be same length +/- .015" both sides. Minimum Piston length from bottom of ring land to bottom of piston is 1.210.

Feel free to give me a call if you need help with this I have dial indicator and 3mm rod etc for checking.
214-325-4985