tires

Discussion forum for Kid Kart classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Leon Knox

tires

Post by Leon Knox »

Ok what is the correct mg tire for the kid kart not seeing any that meet the size requiremnts am i miss reading something?
Jeff Mitchell

Re: tires

Post by Jeff Mitchell »

Leon,
The correct size MG is a 4.60 x 5.

I would like clarification as to the compound. The flyer mentions both a spec'ed MG yellow and the 2012 NTK rules which spec's the compound as open.

I would ask that the compound be left open.
Reasons:
1.The softer greens are safer because their added traction minimizes spins.
2. I have already bought a new set of greens for my younger son who is just starting.
3. I encouraged another dad to buy the greens for his son and I would hate if they are no longer legal.
4. The greens provide a longer window of usability for kid karts. Kid kart tires rarely wear out. They are typically heat cycled until they become too hard to provide reasonable traction. By starting out with the softer greens during the cooler temperatures, parents can get more races out of a set of tires before they become too hard and loose traction.
5. And finally, they can be faster if the kart does not bind up.
Leon Knox

Post by Leon Knox »

ok makes sence so on kid karts all 4 tires are the same size that is what was throwing me thanks now just need to find out on the tire compound. we need all the grip we can get lol
Robbie Floyd

Post by Robbie Floyd »

I don't think they changed the rules, but the tires have always been open compound for the Kid Karts as long as they were MG's. I know there is a split between greens and yellows in the field. We even have reds mounted as well. Cold weather, use greens. They will work in the summer too unless it gets really hot.