Mentor - Beginner Help

Discussion forum for Kid Kart classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Brad Galbraith

Mentor - Beginner Help

Post by Brad Galbraith »

I just bought my 6yo boy, Patton, a Tony Micro with about 4 hours on it from Ian Penman here on the forums, good man. Has the Comer C50. I'm going to pull some of the kart apart, check everything (other than the engine), clean the carb, service, bath, decals, etc. We intend to start racing there in the Spring if I can get everything together fast enough but more on that below.
Patton Kart-crop-min.jpg
Patton Kart-crop-min.jpg (140.47 KiB) Viewed 24341 times
I'm looking for some help identifying basic information to help get us started. I've searched around the web but not finding much.

Background. I've spent most of my life in the Automotive/Motorcycle sector, sales, tech, machine shop, management, ownership. Raced some on dirt and pavement, trackday style track time on 2 wheels. Drag raced various vehicles over the years. Own an off road parts mfg business. I have a good understanding of chassis design, the physics involved, suspension setup, tuning,, etc etc Having said that... I have NEVER raced Karts so I consider myself a newbie with no practical experience.

I have a 6x12 enclosed, small 4kw gen, 20gal Quincy air comp, most all of the tools I could need, roll around boxes, lights, etc.

I need a kart lift (we actually have a new product coming out that we may add some adapters to do this).

We have some tires/wheel spares, a couple of clutches, an extra C50 that is unverified used, some carbs, extra new axle, clutch tool.

Probably need some new race fuel jugs. What octane does everyone run in the C50 there?

I would appreciate any and all advice on other equipment that you consider helpful or necessary for this class.

+Should I just go ahead and buy a transponder?
+What kind of data logging does everyone run? I don't want to go overboard but I'd really like to see head temps and rpm with a gps overlay of the track and of course lap times so I can figure out which way is up after the day is done. Plus, I'm a tech nerd.. so there's that.
+What about racing suits and helmets. What are the best to start out a 6yo with? Everyone going with race shoes or sports shoes?

More than all of that.. I would appreciate any and all advice in general. I'm all ears and soaking up anything I can.

I see that Jonathan Ewing is the class mentor and I plan on calling him tomorrow. I also plan on becoming a member.

Yes, we need to make a race day there and watch, spend some time in the pits, etc. Feb 24 is the next but my youngest turns 1 that day and family coming in, so can't miss that. Spring season starts March 10 and I'm afraid it will be very difficult to make that start date as he needs some seat time and I need time to get my act together as well. I haven't looked in to being able to start mid season yet. Possible?

I've downloaded the NTK rules for 2018 and am starting to soak them up. Do I need to read up on IKF rules and/or ???

I'm not looking to steal away any competitive secrets :) I just would love to skip as many of the normal newbie mistakes/missteps as possible which might also keep us from doing something that affects you.

I appreciate any and all help offered and given.

Sincerely,
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Brad Galbraith

Re: Mentor - Beginner Help

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Just found the part about running Evinco tires. Best place to buy them?

I'm already confused though as the rules state:
Tires: Front maximum 4:50-5; Rear, maximum 5:50-5. Rear tire circumference, maximum 33¾”.

But I'm only seeing 4.6 and 6.0 available from Evinco. If the 4.60s are legal do we have to run them F & R? What am I missing?

Everyone running blues or do some actually use reds, especially when its cooler?

Looks like I may have found my answer here: https://www.ntkarters.com/?start=8 but that's for 2017.
NTK Club Races:
Micro will run 4.6 front & rear- Evinco Blue (Hard Compound)
Do we have to buy them all from NTK? I don't have an issue with that...especially if that's the rule. ;)

I have some Bridgestones, a set of Mojos... guess they will be practice tires for now.
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Post by Yaani-Mai Gaddy »

Hi Brad,

Sorry about the old 2017 rule information on the website. I just archived the old 2017 rules articles & posted a new article on the Home page with a link to the 2018 NTK Rulebook and also a list of the 2018 rule change highlights.

I just take care of the website so I'll let someone else answer your other questions.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Thank you sir.. that explains my tire size dilemma. I noticed that, at least from what I think I read... that this year there is a heavy Kids Kart variation to the engine rules but a bone stock C50 must be used otherwise. I'm guessing a blueprinted C50 isn't a problem as long as it meets stock specs.
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Guess these forums are pretty low traffic?
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

Brad, call me at 940 230 4334 and I can help u. BOB SCHABEL, NTK VP
Greg Dukette

Post by Greg Dukette »

Hey Brad,

My son Matthew also races kid kart at NTK. We will be racing on the 24th. Feel free to swing by the trailer. He also has a Tony Kart with a comer. His number is 98 and his kart is camo in color. Give us a call when you are there. 469-251-6256. We should be there around 10am

Greg
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

I really appreciate the invite and you can bet I will do so, however, we have my other son's 1st birthday on the 24th with family coming in so.... we will miss that one.

The following weekend is my 50th (yeah yeah.. old dog, new tricks) and my wife has planned a get together... but we may sneak up there earlier in the day if anyone is there.

I realize the 24th is the last day of the Winter schedule but we will be there March 10th for sure.

I hope to have our ducks in a row, be finished with baseball and start the Summer season May 19th. This should give us some time to get our act together, have several practice days and be ready to race...if all goes well.
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

We are coming out this Saturday AM and plan on being there all day. I'm bringing my membership papers, etc and intend to spend some time in the pits...well, all over. I hope to get my boy fitted for gear, see about a few other things.

Picked up a used Mychron4 the other day and ordered up a list of stuff that should be here next week.

Kart is almost apart for clean up and a soon as my tire changer arrives I'll get after the assortment of wheels/tires. If all goes well I'll have everything ready to get us there by end of March, first of April for some track time and start figuring out which way is up then get ready to race for the Summer season late May.

I posted this up in another thread...but I don't see where Evinco makes a wet tire...what are we supposed to do about that?
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

rain TIRES are open,,any brand, MG makes rains which is who makes the Evinco tires
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Bob Schabel wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:30 pm rain TIRES are open,,any brand, MG makes rains which is who makes the Evinco tires
I kinda figured that might be the case since I saw MG makes Evinco. Thank you for clarifying. I'll see everyone there tomorrow.
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Ok, so finally got through baseball and a ton of other events and we are at a point to come test this Wed the 13th.

Trailer is mostly squared away and I think we have everything we need.

Fixed a bowl leak on the carb, cleaned and installed a new screen.
New fuel line.
Swapped around tires/wheels for testing, racing and rain.
Installed a MyChron4 on the floor not the wheel, there isn't anything he needs to see right now but I wanted to see RPM's, and temp. Also have an optical sensor I'll see if we can get working out there for days like this.
Mounted up a gopro up front.
Fabbed up an aluminum chain guard, the factory plastic was garbage.
Did a general cleanup and inspection and got her running.
We have about 275' of drive so I was able to cut him loose just to double check his layout, familiarize him with the kart a bit and... just to see it go.

Anyway.. along with a ton of other stuff I think we are ready to get started. Maybe we might see one of you guys out there this Wed... I'll take any help/advice I can get.
Attachments
kart chain rear sized.jpg
kart chain rear sized.jpg (155.03 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

kart mychron sized.jpg
kart mychron sized.jpg (81.3 KiB) Viewed 23251 times
patton test.jpg
patton test.jpg (140.41 KiB) Viewed 23250 times