4 hole can to pipe questions.

Discussion forum for Yamaha classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Rich Luckie

4 hole can to pipe questions.

Post by Rich Luckie »

I am going from a 4 hole can to a pipe and need some help. This is what I have come up with so far. Straight header, springs (don't know how long), flex/pipe (new to me and don't know what size but was told to start out at 7 1/2" long), Pipe (L2 I have heard is what I should get) and then pipe mount. I need some help in what I need to order. I have tried calling 1 shop that I know of but haven't had anyone pick up yet. I need this ASAP! Thanks for any help.
George Kraus

Post by George Kraus »

Rich,
Sounds like you are dead on the right track. Get a hold of me if you need some help putting it all togeather. I run an older A2 pipe and flex lenght is OK untill you drive it on the track to match up the clutch / pipe. Do you use a head temp gauge ?
George Kraus
Racing is life, everything else is just waiting.
Rich Luckie

Post by Rich Luckie »

The 7 1/2 is that the actual length of the pipe or is that a measurement between something else? I just got a Cylinder Head Temperature and EGT sensor. Where is the best place to mount the EGT bung? Thanks.
Bob Preston

Post by Bob Preston »

Rich,
They may have been indicating the legnth of the header and the connector (flex) tubing. I have seen a short and long header so based on what you have it would make a difference in the legnth of the connector. I would reccomend testing a few different legnths to see what works best for your setup. I am running the A2 like GK and 7-8" is about what my motor likes. Most of the EGT sensors I have seen are about the middle of the short header or about an inch from the flange and 1.5-2" on the long header. Someone else may know where the optimum is. I think the more important question is how to tune with the EGT. Again someone else may be able to comment as I have not done this yet. Let me know if you need any help as I would like to get a few more YH's up and running for the April 11th race... The Jr SS class with 8 was a fun race to watch with three battles for their relative positions going on during the final.

Regards,
BP
John Ray
NTK President

pipe length

Post by John Ray »

the 7-8 inch measurement that is mentioned is from the piston to the end of the extension stuck in the header. from there you tune to your discression as your motor demands rpm wise and pull.
J RAY