Question from HCKC

Discussion forum for Yamaha classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

John Mueller

Question from HCKC

Post by John Mueller »

Hi all,

We are currently having an interesting thread on our forums about the potential of a Yamaha class, or running them in the brackets. Curious to see on a few things from your perspective.

What is you life between rebuilds, max rpm, etc?

Last time I ran a Yamaha was the year of the KART nats at NTK, and my engine was twisting 17k with a rebuild every two hours. But I have no clue outside of that, I am for all intents new to the sport again only coming back to race last year (Chonda). If you are curious on maybe our comical debate it is here - http://hillcountrykartclub.com/forum/ge ... t100-karts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks and see you next season!
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Re: Question from HCKC

Post by Yaani-Mai Gaddy »

The Yamaha class is a great class. My boys raced in it for years. I wouldn't mind racing in it but Gene has got lazy & doesn't want to rebuild the engines or work on the clutches and it gets pricey to pay someone to do it.

Cost & maintenance is a major factor.

Stock Chonda $130
Blueprinted Chonda with blueprinted carburetor $300

Stock Yamaha $750
Blueprinted Yamaha with blueprinted carburetor $1800

Chondas use very little 87 octane pump gas & you can get through a weekend of practice & racing for about $6.

Yamahas use race gas & would use probably 5 gallons for a weekend(?), at $11 a gallon that would be $55, don't forget an additional $8-$15 for the expensive oil!

There is no maintenance on the Chonda engine at NTK as it is sealed & there is no reason to work on it. You should change the oil every race but that is about it unless you want to change your valve springs occasionally. I have never done anything to my $52 Chonda clutch for a couple of years now. Gene took it apart once & checked everything (I think he oiled the bearings?) but he said it was fine & we put it back on the kart.

Yamaha you have to check, adjust & rebuild your clutch constantly which is OK if you can do it yourself & like to do it but expensive if you want someone else to do it for you. Engine rebuilds are not a problem if you like to do it yourself but expensive if you pay someone.

We have a large Yamaha class now at NTK & they all like to work on their engines & clutches. There are racers that want to do that & wouldn't be happy with the Chonda because they can't work on them. I imagine those Yamaha racers would go through withdrawals if they had a Chonda because they wouldn't know what to do between heats & between races! :D
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Dan Taylor

Post by Dan Taylor »

John,

We run our Sportsman engines to 14 - 14.5k. Our pistons go 10 hrs(plus or minus a little. We do the bottom ends every 30 - 40 hrs. Top ends cost between $200 and 250, and complete rebuilds are around $450 - 600.

Dan
John Mueller

Post by John Mueller »

Dan Taylor wrote:John,

We run our Sportsman engines to 14 - 14.5k. Our pistons go 10 hrs(plus or minus a little. We do the bottom ends every 30 - 40 hrs. Top ends cost between $200 and 250, and complete rebuilds are around $450 - 600.

Dan
Thanks Dan!
George Kraus

Post by George Kraus »

John,
Just what Dan said. I NEVER used that much gas on a race weekend. Must buy a sealed Clonda motor. No more Harbor Freight motors. Made my motors last almost all year. 2 disk dry clutch lasted all season.
I never gave over $600.00 for a complete rebuild / blueprint. Didn't have to change oil and deal with the used oil issue.
Saw 15.7 K top RPM in the longest part of the track.
Didn't work too much on the motor myself as it did not need it.
Do work on the kart setup between races but not the motors. Yamaha's are a faster class than the chondas.
Racing is life, everything else is just waiting.
John Mueller

Post by John Mueller »

Thanks everyone, I am excited to see this class working really well for you and it looks like it is only growing!

I think it would fill a gap for us, more speed than a clone, cheaper than a TaG but also still fast enough to be good fun. Maybe we need you to come down to our track to show off for us! :twisted:

I know Yamaha is making a bit of a comeback in other parts of the country, and I have to admit I think that it is good for karting.

Has anyone posted videos of your Sr Sportsman class up yet? I found a few from the Jr classes, one was your track running clockwise which just made me drool.
Mike Engstrom

Post by Mike Engstrom »

Yamaha still the back bone of karting. Yamahas forever!
chris foisy

Post by chris foisy »

5 gal for a weekend on fuel....i never went through that much fuel and i ran on alcohol back when the club at ntk ran brackets...i wasnt a big fan of bracket racing and wouldnt do it...i say put them all in one class and race