New TaG owner

Discussion forum for all Touch and Go classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Eric Petersen

New TaG owner

Post by Eric Petersen »

Hi Folks,
Not only a new owner, but new to karting- and I'm 45!!! I wanted to see how many other TaG folks are out there that participate at NTK's track. You will probably only see me at Friday practices for a while, until I feel that I'm not a nuisance. I have already volunteered at a race and become a track groupie. I know, pathetic.

Eric
George Kraus

Post by George Kraus »

Eric,
Just get out there and dive in. You will always start in the back as a rookie. Just fall back if you don't feel OK with whats going on. Get your rookie card now. You must have 6 races signed off before you run on your lap times.
Racing is life, everything else is just waiting.
Eric Petersen

First Practice

Post by Eric Petersen »

George,
That's true! I went out last Friday to practice for the first time- very exciting indeed. I must admit that, at first, I forgot everything I'd learned from some auto racing schools I have attended. Then once I'd gathered my wits, I started applying some things and watched my laps times go down.
Reg provided some nice kart prep advice and the only other TaG retired in need of a new rear axle. I plan to come out OCT 4 and just dive in to a race. No better way!

Eric
Michael Lindsey

Post by Michael Lindsey »

Eric,

Good luck! I'm glad to see more Tag Masters getting involved down there. A few of us from Oklahoma will be comming down this winter for the winter series. Hope to see you then. Feel free to come by for any help needed to get up to speed.
Eric Petersen

Post-race

Post by Eric Petersen »

Thanks for the support- I had my first race this past Saturday....boy do I have a lot to learn! On the drive up to the track I started thinking, "this is really stupid- turn around now before you get hurt." But I didn't, and besides scraping a little powdercoat off the bottom of the frame when I spun during qualifying, I just ended up with my ribs feeling a bit tender!
Thankfully there seem to be a lot of folks able and willing to help with all the nuances of my kart- they came out of the woodwork, and didn't laugh too hard when I didn't even know the width of my rear axle. I also discovered that I really belong in the TaG Senior class, since I'd have to add almost 60 lbs of weight to qualify for Masters. I don't even know where to add the weights, but the club TaG mentor certainly does.
My intention is to race during the cooler months and only volunteer during the summer months. Too dang hot for my tastes, I'm from WA state!
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Post by Yaani-Mai Gaddy »

Eric,

Good for you jumping in there & going for it!

I'm sure you will do great just as soon as you get a little more seat time.

Do you have a rib protector vest? Those really help protect your ribs. It's not your age even the little kids wear them. The seat edges are so hard & the G force in the corners is so great the rib protector vests really help.

Now that you are a member be sure to come out to the Friday night practice Nov. 17th. I hear it is going to be a Fall celebration with hot dogs & other fun activities planned but is for NTK members only.
Michael Lindsey

Post by Michael Lindsey »

Eric,

Glad to here that you didn't change your mind. I do however think that Masters is the class for you. Even if you need to add weight. Racing with all of those kids who don't have to go to work on monday can be a real challange. And while you are learning, the master's class will give you a better chance to be competitive. I see too many people jump into the seinor class that should be running master. Put the weight on the front, back, and sides of your seat. Good luck.