MINIMAX Gear change??**Please Read**

Discussion forum for all Touch and Go classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Mark French

MINIMAX Gear change??**Please Read**

Post by Mark French »

This is a poll to see what Minimax drivers and crews think about changing the spec gear at NTK. Currently the spec gear is a 12x80 and is in place to regulate the speed.

Reasons to possibly change this gear. One is that all new rotax motors come with a 13t driver so there would be no need to purchase an additional one. The second reason is all Grand Regional and National Rotax events use the 13x82 spec gears. (Those tracks were 8/10 mile and we are ½ mile)

Reasons not to change it. One is that the gear ratio is taller meaning the mini max will carry more speed and is that something we want for the kids? Second Jake and I tested with the 13x82 and bent 2 sprockets going through turns 4, 5 and 6. There are several things I could do to prevent that, I just wanted to throw it out there. Third if 13x82 does become spec, then those of us that want to run KART will also have to bring this up with them or change to their spec. I am working closely with DJ on getting the gears ironed out for KART.

It doesn’t matter to me which way we go. I have tested with the 13x82 and found after several laps we were running quicker than the 12x80. Hopefully this poll works and just let me know yes or no. Feel free to comment. We want this to be safe, fun and fair for everyone. 2007 is shaping up to be awesome and your help and input is appreciated.
12x80 6.67
13x82 6.31
Thanks,
Mark
Ken Quigley

Post by Ken Quigley »

I was in support of the change but having read about the bent sprockets I am a little concerned now. What can be done to prevent the sprockets from being bent? I know Jim would love the speed but the cost of having to purchase new sprockets for each race or practice session is a bummer.

Thanks,
-Ken Q.
Mark French

Post by Mark French »

Most important is to make sure your tire pressure isn't to low. I just looked at my notes and we bent those while practicing with Mojo's! You can also make or purchase a sprocket protector for the bottom of the chassis.
Paul Tartaglia

Post by Paul Tartaglia »

13/82 is my preference. Reason:

This is the spec gear for ALL RMAX Challenge races. If we run something different at NTK it is just one more expense that is not necessary. Track length is not the determining factor. This is the official Mini-max gear at all for the last several years irregardless of track size or location. You will have to run the 13/82 at the Regional or Nationals.

Regarding bent sprockets, buy a sprocket guard or drive different lines. Better to get this sorted out at NTK rather than deal with it (if it is a problem) while at an out of town RMAX race. Size wise, an 82 isn't much different than an 80. I've broken two 80s (before a sprocket guard), maybe we should go to an 11/73.........

While discussing Mini-Max issues we better address tires. I want to run what ever the RMAX tires are. Having to run one tire for NTK/KART and then for RMAX makes no sense for the racer. Besides eliminating the extra cost, running the RMAX tire will allow our club members to get all the base set-ups for their karts before going on the road. This should increase our competitiveness against other racers that use the Spec tire all the time. We can then concentrate on driving and fine tuning rather than chasing the kart set-up on different tires during the limited practice time available at the larger races.

For many of these RMAX rules, we should consider wording our NTK rules so that if RMAX changes something in the middle of the year we can adapt and not be stuck until the next years rules meeting.

I would prefer to run everything exactly as we have to at an official RMAX race. This way all my efforts locally are transferable. A much better investment of my time and money.
Bill Hewell

Post by Bill Hewell »

Paul,

I agree with your line of reasoning. Might as well treat every race weekend as a practice for the National events. The tire angle is very important to me at this time. Will's new Mini-Max is taking shape out at KAM Karting Supply right now and it would be nice to know which tires to install. Like you, I would vote for whatever tire is being used by the National events. But, being a fairly new person to the club, I am only vaguely aware of some type of arrangement with Bridgestone. I will defer to you and Mark on that point!

Also, Will's new Mini-Max motor arrived at KAM Karting last Thursday or Friday. I have been told that it came with a restrictor and that the restrictor had been installed at the shop. When I called today, Mike was out and Kelly had no idea what type of restrictor was in the engine. I will find out when the shop opens next week, but I would suppose that it would be the new metal one. Odd if they sent out a plastic restrictor with the new engine! She did check the engine, and it does indeed have a 13 tooth clutch gear.

New Birel chassis model C 28 C-J should be arriving at KAM by Monday.

Thanks for your input!

Bill
Mark French

Post by Mark French »

Guys I agree on the gearing and I think we can make it work at all the local tracks but Waco. The thing I don't want to really see is the Mojo tires. Jake and I tested Mojo's a month before Florida and ran them almost the entire time at NTK before the Nationals. For what ever reason the Mojo's just don't work at NTK and require ton of setup and that setup was no where close to what we ran at the regional’s or nationals. At the big Rotax events ALL karts run Mojo's and there for the track retains all Mojo rubber. Maybe that’s the difference?? I will tell you that our NTK Bridgestone setup was basically the same as our Mojo National and Regional setup. Mt two cents...Also RMax gave us the option of running Bridgestone’s for the Rmax qualifiers this year..
Mark French
vwrod1@hotmail.com
Paul Tartaglia

Post by Paul Tartaglia »

I agree that the 13/82 would be a problem at Waco. Waco really needs an 11th driver otherwise your rear sprocket is too big. Talk about bent sprockets and thrown chains............:cry:

We should start another thread to discuss RMAX Challenge tracks for 2007. Waco would not be on my list.:roll:

Regarding the tires, again we should start another thread to discuss in depth. I disagree with your statement on kart set-up Bridgestone vs. Mojo. You and I both had to make significant changes to our karts for the Mojos. Axles, hubs, seat struts, front end geometry, tire pressures, etc before going to Fl. The tires may not be as fast as Bridgestones, but for Mini-Max that may not be a bad thing. For me if every one is on the same tire, then the playing field is level. I would rather be .5 sec slower and only have to stock and maintain one type of tire rather than two different types. I don't think the Mojos we used at the Regionals were as bad as everyone was making them out to be before the event. The tire life was good and the tires were consistant after the 1st 15 minutes. When new, they are definitely faster by .5 - .75 seconds for the 1st 15 min. or so. If we ever get another National or Regional at NTK and Mojos are still the RMAX tire, we'll have to run them. Better learn how to make them work here to keep a homefield advantage.

We ran Bridegstones at the RMAX qualifiers in 06 so no change there. Why is everyone stuck on Bridgestones? How about Vega, MG, Dunlop, Hoosier, Burris, etc. I get nothing from any of the tire distributors or mfg. The politics of the spec tire programs are another discussion. :twisted:
Ken Quigley

Post by Ken Quigley »

I support the 13/82 gear spec change. The stuff about Waco is new to my ears. We are new to the sport so I suspect that we will run into learning issues at every track we race at. What is the gear spec at Waco any way?

Since we are new to the sport I like the idea of tuning the chassis to one type of tire. If you guys could figure out just what the heck we ought to be doing I will follow suit but I have a learning curve to deal with that you have already gone through. My preference is that we go with one tire set up period. If the Spec tire is Mojo then we should seriously consider using them.

I also like the idea of being able to adapt to the RMAX rule changes when they occurr rather than waiting till the end of the year.
Mark French

Post by Mark French »

Guys the tire choice for NTK is ultimately up to the club. The tire choice is made at the rules meeting January 20th. Each tire manufacture offers the club a certain kick back for picking their tire as the “clubâ€
Mark French
vwrod1@hotmail.com
Craig Kerkove

Minimax Gears

Post by Craig Kerkove »

I support the 13/82 gear change.

It doesn't make sense to try to limit speed all year and then expect the drivers to be prepared for regional or national races at faster speeds.

Our mimimax came with a 13 tooth sprocket and 13/82 is what we practiced with this weekend. Our lap times were within the range of those from the recent fall races (except Jake French... is there a rocket strapped on that kart?). :D

Alex and I are looking forward to a great 2007!
Mark French

Post by Mark French »

Craig thats awesome! Glad to hear you got everything running.

Team, I will submit the rule change to a 13x82 gear. I would recommend NTK members attending the rules meeting. All paid NTK members have a vote at the rules meeting. Information below..

Rule Change Proposals.
Proposed rule changes for the 2007 NTK racing year should be submitted to the secretary in writing by email, US Postal Service (700 Meadowlark Lane, Coppell, TX 75019), at the track, club or board meeting. Proposed rule changes must indicate the rule number to be changed and the change requested. If the rule is a new rule, please indicate as a new rule proposal. Deadline for proposed rule change submissions is December 17, 2006.

The NTK rules meeting will be held at 9:00am on January 20, 2007 at Chaparral Machinery. The address for Chaparral Machinery is as follows:

3435 Roy Orr Blvd.
Suite 100
Grand Prairie, Texas 75050
Mark French
vwrod1@hotmail.com
Jerry Iseli

Post by Jerry Iseli »

Just to get everyone thinking about it before the rules meeting....

What about 12:76 for the club spec gear? It's the same ratio as the 13:82, but with less risk of a bent sprocket. Everyone who is racing Polar Bear already has the 12 tooth sprocket.
Last edited by Jerry Iseli on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark French

Post by Mark French »

I would ask anyone that has an interest in Minimax and wants to voice their opinion, then show up and vote at the rules meeting Saturday! This is open to all club members.

I can go either way on the gearing, but having to change tires for rmax and club. NO FUN!

Mark
Mark French
vwrod1@hotmail.com
Frank Clark

Post by Frank Clark »

Jerry Iseli wrote:...Everyone who is racing Polar Bear already has the 12 tooth sprocket.
:?: Why would that be? 13/82 is required. It's Open Tires, not no-rules.

For the 2008 series (Spring 1 on) the club rule is either/or on which spec gear you want to run.