80 CC Shifter Setup

Discussion forum for shifters.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Daniel Dutton

80 CC Shifter Setup

Post by Daniel Dutton »

We have been in the process of rebuilding our 80cc shifter and we are just about done with the exception of the Clutch cable.New to the shifter world but I took good documentation pics before dis-assembly of everything except the clutch cable setup. We had a new one installed but it wasn't working correctly so I installed the old one but I know its not setup correctly. It also looks very different than the new one. If anyone can assist in walking me through the setup, I would appreciate it.The new one was not retracting the clutch properly when I pulled the handle in to the steering wheel.The new one was just the cable and covering.

Also, what are the knurled knobs in the pic used for? I know its for adjustment purposes but I just don't know what it adjusts.

Many thanks!!

Dan
Attachments
1-IMG_1432.JPG
1-IMG_1432.JPG (63.09 KiB) Viewed 14167 times
1-IMG_1431.JPG
1-IMG_1431.JPG (52.5 KiB) Viewed 14167 times
1-IMG_1428.JPG
1-IMG_1428.JPG (85.94 KiB) Viewed 14167 times
Kevin Crowe

Re: 80 CC Shifter Setup

Post by Kevin Crowe »

It looks like you need somewhere to attach the cable housing to on the steering wheel side. I dont worry about the adjustment on the cable. I can give you a hand with it if you are up there tomorrow night.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Daniel Dutton

Post by Daniel Dutton »

Hey Kevin. Thanks a bunch. If we come out I will come by and see you.

Dan
John Ray
NTK President

Post by John Ray »

Daniel, we spoke in the parking lot when you picked up your kart and had it in the back of your truck. Your problem is that you have a shift lever that pushes the housing rather than pull the cable. The ball fitting on the end of the housing has to seat in the socket in the shift lever, you do this by taking all the free play out of the cable with the adjuster lug on the top side of the steering wheel. When you pull the lever you will be pushing the housing inadvertently releasing the clutch. This kind of set up sucks as far as smooth release of the clutch. Shark shifter sells a clutch paddle set up, however you have to get a new steering wheel hub without a clutch release set up on it so you will have room to put the new set up on the steering shaft. Oh and you have to have a clutch cable made, ask Bob Schabel what length he had made, and where he got it made. Hope this info helps.
J RAY
Daniel Dutton

Post by Daniel Dutton »

Thanks John. I actually had the cable you had suggested to me back at the house. I removed the one that was on it per your suggestion.

I will see if I can get it to work per your suggestion. If not, I will bring it back over at the next race.

I will check with Shark Shifter today as well. Thanks for the advice.

Dan