Shifter or Rotax?

Discussion forum for shifters.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Ethan Hall

Shifter or Rotax?

Post by Ethan Hall »

Hello all.

After running through one of Greg's schools and then completing Spring I in Yamaha Sr. Super Sportsman, I'm looking to buy a kart and start a regular racing schedule and development program.

I would prefer a shifter, but I'm concerned about weight. I'm a little over 200 pounds and will not be significantly lighter until perhaps mid-summer. I was 380'ish in the Yamaha, so I assume I'll be way too heavy in a shifter. Everyone is recommending I run Rotax Masters due to my weight.

So my question is:

Is it worth trying to become competitive in a shifter at my weight, or should I capitulate and just buy a Rotax? I have no idea what a shifter weighs...or if everyone in this class usually runs with the added weight of front brakes. But I probably would eventually start road racing and then of course need the fronts.

Thanks in advance,
Ethan
Brandt Lucido

To Shift or not to shift

Post by Brandt Lucido »

Ethan, the shifter class weight for the Stock 125 class is 385, I'm sure the shifter guys would welcome you as well as the Rotax masters, Our Kart weights about 220 to 225 with no weight, In the SWRA road race the stock 125 weight is 400 lbs. You might give some 10 to 15 lbs up sprint racing but you would be close in road racing. Good luck Brandt Lucido!
Ethan Hall

Re: To Shift or not to shift

Post by Ethan Hall »

Thanks for the info Brandt. So far everyone has been very helpful and welcomed me to the karting community.

That certainly gives me more to think about. Unless everyone else is running over weight; I don't see how I could become competitive. I'd bet there are probably some lighter racers in the class who have to add weight...which would be really hard to run against.

The upside is that there is a consistent group of fast guys in Masters who would be great for me to learn from. So I'll keep my mind open and see what direction I end up taking.

Thanks again!
Ethan
Brandt Lucido wrote:Ethan, the shifter class weight for the Stock 125 class is 385, I'm sure the shifter guys would welcome you as well as the Rotax masters, Our Kart weights about 220 to 225 with no weight, In the SWRA road race the stock 125 weight is 400 lbs. You might give some 10 to 15 lbs up sprint racing but you would be close in road racing. Good luck Brandt Lucido!