Advise on Getting Started in Karting

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Josh Jordan

Advise on Getting Started in Karting

Post by Josh Jordan »

Hi guys! My name is Josh and I am 23 years old. I really want to start karting but I
have no idea where to begin. So lets start with the basic question, where do I start?
What is a good kart to start with? And what class would I start in?

I plan on going out to my local track within the next few weeks just to check it all
out; I have heard this is a good place to start. I believe the class I would run would
be the senior class and then whatever kart I get, correct me if I am wrong.

I will be looking for a good used kart that requires little to no work to get out on
the track. My reasoning behind this is I don’t have a lot of experience fixing or
performing maintenance on vehicles and I want to start off slow and use this as a
learning experience. Leading to another question, what is typical maintenance for a
kart?

The same goes for the kart I will be looking for, I want something that I could race
but I am not in a hurry to do that. I want to learn more than anything, so going to
the track and just running practice laps would be enough to start with. I am looking
to purchase in the next few months, so I will be using the advice I receive to look
around and price a kart. I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with.

Thanks for all of the help!
Josh
Randy Voorhies

Re: Advise on Getting Started in Karting

Post by Randy Voorhies »

Josh,

You may want to consider the Chonda class offered here at NTK. The “Chonda” is a four cycle engine that is easy to keep race ready. Change the oil, add some pump gas and you are ready to go.

You should come out to our next race, July 7, NTK has a Chonda kart ready to test drive.
Sketchys Kart Shop- authorized OTK/Tony Kart dealer
Jarret Voorhies 2012 & 2013 Rotax Jr Champion, 2012 & 2013 Chonda Lt Champion
http://WWW.jarretvoorhies.com
Josh Jordan

Post by Josh Jordan »

I would love to be able to make it out there, unfortunately I live in the Houston area. I joined as may forums as I could so as to get different points of view and to learn as much as possible. Plus who knows maybe I could make it out there some day!
John Ray
NTK President

Post by John Ray »

check with the local club GCKI in katy. they have a chonda class there and can help you with all your questions. ask for bill choice
J RAY