New To Karting, Need Some Direction:

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Nawaaz Ismail

New To Karting, Need Some Direction:

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

Hi all,

Looks like Karting will be a completely new world to me. I'm willing to try and see if this is something that will work out.

I reside in Plano, and I'm 27 years old, married and have 2 small kids.

What brings me to your club? Well, I've been tracking my own street car(s) for close to 3 years now on some road courses around the state (HPDE events), and I don't know if I'm going to continue with it or not (addiction), and it can be a costly hobby. The problem is that I feel that I have this competitiveness (much like many of you guys) and I can't get rid of it... And tracking my own street car is getting expensive, as mentioned.

I realize that some of you can give me good guidance to see if Karting is for me.

I don't mind coming over to see one of your races / practices which may be taking place in the very near future. I've heard that one may offer a test-ride to help me get a better feel of things.

I'm keeping an open mind and am ready for any of your pointers which you may be able to direct me with.

And if this Karting idea doesn't work out for me, at least I know that I learned and did not lose anything by trying.

Much appreciation for all of your help, in advance.

By the way, my nickname is: Sonny
Last edited by Nawaaz Ismail on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nawaaz Ismail

Re: Need Some Direction, Please:

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

... Just got off the phone with Bob yesterday evening.

Thanks so much for the call and all the detailed info to so many of my questions, Bob.

See you this Saturday @ 10 A.M. for an intro to the sport and a test-ride.

Hope this all works out for me because I'm seriously thinking of giving up my actual car for the sake of this hobby (will get the wife a car for herself instead), haha... :wink:

Sonny
Eric Kinn

Post by Eric Kinn »

Welcome aboard Sonny! I haven't been in the club that long but came from a similar background regarding the HPDE events. I found that I never pushed the cars 100% for fear of the expense, if something happened. Now actually race "harder" with the karts and it is ever bit as exciting. Also have a little guy who could never ride along with the car racing but has now really gotten into karting. Not sure how old your kids are but it's a great family experience.

Maybe see you out at the track on Saturday!

Welcome again,
Eric
Nawaaz Ismail

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

Eric Kinn wrote:Welcome aboard Sonny! I haven't been in the club that long but came from a similar background regarding the HPDE events. I found that I never pushed the cars 100% for fear of the expense, if something happened. Now actually race "harder" with the karts and it is ever bit as exciting. Also have a little guy who could never ride along with the car racing but has now really gotten into karting. Not sure how old your kids are but it's a great family experience.

Maybe see you out at the track on Saturday!

Welcome again,
Eric
Thanks for the very warm welcome, Eric.

My two girls are 4 & 1. I'm sure they'll want to join along if they witness me... We'll just have to see how that goes.

I've been advised that even racing Karts can be really expensive when you compare to HPDE events... Is this true?

For example, each two-day HPDE event that I attend is $300 per event, better replacement tires are close to $800, track brake pads are close to $400 for all corners... And now the new car is in for warranty work because of an engine malfunction which occurred. And I'll be busted with warranty coverage if the manufacturer considers me 'abusing' the car at a DE event. I don't consider it abusing, but simply driving a sports in its natural habitat and how the manufacturer designed / advertises the sports car.

Anyway, I suppose this is what's making me consider Karting...

Sonny
Eric Kinn

Post by Eric Kinn »

Everything is relative in regards to expense. Karting is probably the best bang for the buck. Compare a race entry fee of 25$ compared to the 300 you currently pay. And 200$ for tires vs your 800 ( my auto, were 2000 for a set of 4). Plus you won't have to worry about insurance and waranty hassles.

Feel free to give me a call 940-23-04379 if you want to discuss more.
Nawaaz Ismail

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

Eric Kinn wrote:Everything is relative in regards to expense. Karting is probably the best bang for the buck. Compare a race entry fee of 25$ compared to the 300 you currently pay. And 200$ for tires vs your 800 ( my auto, were 2000 for a set of 4). Plus you won't have to worry about insurance and waranty hassles.

Feel free to give me a call 940-23-04379 if you want to discuss more.
Thanks for the additional feedback and sharing your contact... I will keep it handy.

Don't know why, but forum members from my other end seemed to intimidate me a bit here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, my goal is to be conservative with my budget, but I can't get away from motorsports for the time being.

Sonny
Nawaaz Ismail

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

Thank you, Bob, DJ, Eric, and every individual out at the course for helping me get a better feel of things.

I'm very happy that I took the opportunity to come out there... It was a very educational experience.

Karting may or may not be something I'd like to try in the future, but I have no regrets in getting to understand the sport and hobby. I'm sure it takes plenty of time, commitment, and focus.

Thank you again... Especially a BIG thank you to Bob, once again for sharing his invaluable time with me.

Sonny
Nawaaz Ismail

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

Looks like I still haven't given up in giving Karting a shot... I've been reading as much as my mind can tolerate. Not to mention, also speaking with a few experienced veterans of the sport has been greatly beneficial, as well.

I encountered this page on Ekartingnews.com: http://www.ekartingnews.com/NewToKartin ... asses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Sorry, don't know if it's against the rules to post a link from another forum... If so, please correct me)

And it states something which piqued my interest: "If you want to learn to become a good driver, then a slow class, such as a small 4-cycle or restricted 2-cycle like the Yamaha KT-100 Sportsman, may be a good choice."

I took a brief scan of the classifieds section on this particuar forum... Any additional pointers or further direction for the confused student which lives within my mind (and wants to get a wise / smart start in the sport)? : )

Thank you, once again...

Sonny
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Re: New To Karting, Need Some Direction:

Post by Yaani-Mai Gaddy »

Nazaaw,

The article is correct. It takes skill to get a fast lap time in a lower horsepower (4-cycle or KT100) kart. It is all about being a smooth driver & keeping up your momentum through the turns. If you learn to drive in a lower horsepower kart you will be a better driver when you move up to a faster class.

The 4-cycle Chonda class is a great entry level class. The motor maintenance is really minimum so you can concentrate on driving & kart set up while you learn the ropes. The only thing you need to do is change the oil frequently which is easy.

Yamaha KT100 class is also a good entry level class but you will pay more for the motor & unlike the CHonda which uses 87 octane pump gas you have to use race fuel which adds cost to your race day. The race gas is about $9 a gallon (been a long while since we bought any) & pump gas is now around $3 a gallon. The Chonda also doesn't use much fuel, the KT100 uses a lot more fuel.

The Chonda will not need engine rebuilds like the Yamaha does. Engine rebuilds can be expensive if you don't do them yourself. The Yamaha needs to have the clutch worked on regularly & adjusted & rebuilt/parts replaced occasionally. I have used the same $54 clutch Max Torque SS on my Chonda for a few years & have not had to work on it. I think A Yamaha clutch is around $350.

All parts for the Chonda are very inexpensive.

The Chonda class is a great entry level class that allows you to focus on learning to drive & kart setup.

The class also has good entry counts & the more karts, the more fun it is! :)
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Nawaaz Ismail

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

Exactly what I was wanting to hear... Thanks for the great / thorough response.

Will be on the look out for an affordable Chonda, then... Definitely want to work on my skill more than anything else. After what you have said, the Chonda class should be the appropriate level for me... And even more so because I'm on a tight budget and can't spend much.

Thanks again for sharing your invaluable knowledge... And it was great speaking with you on the phone earlier.

Sonny
chris foisy

Post by chris foisy »

Nawaaz...i test drove a chonda and was really surprised that for a entry level kart it was pretty quick.....
Nawaaz Ismail

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

chris foisy wrote:Nawaaz...i test drove a chonda and was really surprised that for a entry level kart it was pretty quick.....
Thank you for your feedback, Chris... Because I was beginning to worry if I'd be making a mistake in deciding to opt for the Chonda and sticking with it for the long run. Although I don't think there's any drawback whatsoever because of how new I am to the sport and because of how I need to establish my foundations as a driver.

By the way, what do you all think about a brand new Extreme Brand chassis combined with the Chonda motor?

For the time being, this is the setup I'm aiming for...

Thank you all for the continued help and guidance.

Nawaaz
chris foisy

Post by chris foisy »

Nawaaz...that kart your looking at is a nice kart....very resonable on price...most of the chassis start at 3 grand and up and thats just for a roller....that extreme would make an excellent kart for starting out....
Nawaaz Ismail

Post by Nawaaz Ismail »

Anyone know of any solid / proven company or website links to get started with getting the right helmet, suit, rib vest, neck brace, gloves, shoes? Without hurting the wallet at the same time?

I may go ahead and opt for wrestling shoes since they're affordable... And probably something afforable with the gloves also... Mechanix gloves?

With some additional advice, I'm thinking that a used Kart will be the appropriate option for me at this beginning stage... Still pondering, of course.

*EDIT*

This looks like the right company to acquire all the gear from, eh?: http://www.k1racegear.com/kart-racing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt Drottz

Post by Matt Drottz »

Nawaaz, K1 offers good products for the price, I doubt you will find suits for less, however, with a clone motor (Chonda as NTK calls it) keep in mind you will want a patch or similar object on the right arm for the exhaust. I know NTK has been running the weenie pipe and may stick with that, but if they opt to run the AKRA "Pro Clone" rules in 2013, that allows for a bigger (better) header and you will want that added heat shield (and even some header wrap!). Not sure if you are a pavement only guy, but there is a nice 1/8th mile dirt track that runs clones on a weekly basis (Kam Kartway), feel free to come check it out on an off night from NTK. At our Fall show in Nov we had 24 clone karts and we are continually growing the class. Good luck and welcome to karting!

-Matt