How old to start racing?

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Brad Galbraith

How old to start racing?

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Being a long time motorhead that has been blessed late in life (I'm 45) with a boy (15 mo) you can bet he's going to be neck deep in go fast toys. (he's already taken possession of my 69 Camaro and AC Cobra).

I'm finishing up a custom Radio Flyer (need some 10.5x4.5-6 tires if you have some used ones laying around) and am getting started on a electric motor powered pedal car conversion. Yes, these are really for him.. I promise. :mrgreen:

Looking down the road a bit. How young did some of you or your kiddos start out in karting? What classes and equipment? Obviously I have several years to go but I figured I better start learning now.

And then there's the junior dragsters and 50cc dirt bikes...and and and. I'm not sure who's gonna be having more fun, me or him.
Last edited by Brad Galbraith on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
Brad Galbraith

Re: How old to start racing?

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Guess it helps to sniff around here a bit.

http://www.ntkarters.com/racing-classes-at-ntk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kid Karts it is. 5 years old.
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas
George Kraus

Post by George Kraus »

Trade a Yamaha for the Cobra. :roll: A ride that is, sorry, it a full size kart.

Just askin.
Racing is life, everything else is just waiting.
Brad Galbraith

Post by Brad Galbraith »

Unfortunately the Cobra is still Flintstone powered, very much in the 'kart' stage.

Eventually it will get a stroked 351W and a Tremec but for now it's collecting dust until our house sells and I can get back in a proper shop.
Brad Galbraith
Granbury, Texas