Karting Class Information, New to the Sport

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Sean Thomas

Karting Class Information, New to the Sport

Post by Sean Thomas »

Hello everyone, I had a few questions about getting into karting. First, I should say that my only experience is with the rentals at DKC. I Fell in love with it there, and have driven them quite a few times over the past year or so. However, I want something faster and more consistent. The other guy I frequently race with wants to get into karting as well so we will want to join the same class. This leads me to the following questions:

Which classes in the Texas or Oklahoma area will have enough activity to keep it fun for us?

Are the rotax 125 karts shifters or single speed? I know the DD2 is a 2 speed.

Does NTK offer sprint and endurance races for all classes of kart or is the endurance racing limited to chondas?

I am a mechanical engineer, as is the other friend who will be getting into the sport with me. We have a lot of tools from working on cars, motorcycles and dirtbikes so working on the Karts is not a concern. I am also ok with being slow for the first several months or a year as long as I enjoy the kart. Are there any other factors I need to be greatly concerned with when selecting a kart to start getting more serious with?

Thanks in advance for any input, and I hope to be joining y'all in a few months!
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Re: Karting Class Information, New to the Sport

Post by Bob Schabel »

Sean, welcome to the sport. I would first suggest you come out to this weeks race at NTK and see what classes are popular. I would recommend either Chonda or the Senior Rotax classes to start in. The Senior 125 Rotax is a single speed. The Chonda class is the most popular, after Shifters. We do race other classes in the endurance races we hold. Send me your email address and I will send you free spectator passes, bobschabel@yahoo.com
Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas »

Bob,

I'm not sure if you got my email a few days ago, but I still have a few questions I'm sure you could help me with. It may have gone straight to your junk mail, my email address is sean.thomas@mavs.uta.edu.

Thanks,

Sean
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

Sean, Sorry, I don't see any emails from you. You can call me at: 972-221-2567. bob