New guy.... old karter..........

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Loyd Blackwell

New guy.... old karter..........

Post by Loyd Blackwell »

Another one. The last time I was at the track it was at Big Beautiful Green Valley raceway. Now all these years later I'm amazed at the directions the sport has taken. I used to always ask the Dad why not put one of those motorcycle engines on a kart so you could shift some gears? Simply amazing.
Now I'm the old guy. Any vintage karters on this forum? I'm in the process of restoring a Rupp model "MM" Mean Machine. I want it to be a runner when done. Then it dawned on me, where am I going to run it? It's an old enduro kart. That was the thing to do back then. All the vintage events I've run across are out west or up north and on the E. Coast. Is there any place to run vintage type karts in the N.TX area? I'm really getting an education on the forums with the info available these days.
John Ray
NTK President

Re: New guy.... old karter..........

Post by John Ray »

Here is the answer you are looking for. Last year we set aside a weekend for people with vintage equipment to come out and have some fun running their karts, our turn out was poor at best. I am looking at the calendar to see if there is a Saturday when we can have another try at it. You can email Mike Mcalister at mctirebiter@att.net he is one of our original members and is currently building vintage karts, he would probably be interested in your project too, just tell him I recommended you.
J RAY
Loyd Blackwell

Post by Loyd Blackwell »

Thanks so much for the reply John. I will email Mike for sure. Hopefully more people will take to the vintage kart thing. It's not for everyone I know. But from the number of people who used to show up for enduro races back in the day there has to be hundreds of those old lost enduros in the metroplex alone. Thanks again.
Richard Gary

Post by Richard Gary »

I was one of the three who showed up for the vintage kart show last year. I hope you can find time to do it again. Loyd , Do you live closer to Waco or DFW ? I wonder if HOT kart track in Waco does anything vintage.