Wanting to get my son's in karting

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Chris Mize

Wanting to get my son's in karting

Post by Chris Mize »

I have a ten year old and a six al.ost seven year old and was wondering what would be the best karts to get. New to the sport so don't know alot.
John Towne

Re: Wanting to get my son's in karting

Post by John Towne »

Chris,

You have lots of choices for karts and you probably need to think about what class you plan to race. I might suggest you come out to one of our Winter Series races in January and take a look around and ask lots of questions. You may want to consider starting with a used kart and then moving into a new one once you gain a little experience and familiarity with the sport. There are several kart shops in the area that can also help you out. You can search the internet for Core Karting, Kart Racing Solutions (KRS), or the Dallas Karting Complex. All of these companies would be more than willing to help you get started in karting.

I would also look at used karts on our forum, there several good ones out there, to see what might be available for a good price. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

John Towne
Board of Director 2017-2018
John Towne
Jeff Elder

Re: Wanting to get my son's in karting

Post by Jeff Elder »

Chris, have you guys been able to make it to the track to try out one of our karts?

My daughter and I started with an older/used chassis last year, and moved into a new one this year. We wanted to learn everything that we could before we spent that amount of money for a new kart.

There are two different avenues for you to consider:

Two stroke - faster, but a lot more maintenance

Four stroke - a little slower, but easy to maintain and work on.

Whichever direction that you choose, there are plenty of folks at NTK that can/will help you/your kids learn the sport. We chose to stick with the 4 stroke side of the house, and will be competing in the LO206 Junior 2 class in the 2018 season.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call or text me as i don't get on here very often.

Jeff
325-660-0535