Briggs Animal Motor

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Mike Urbanski

Briggs Animal Motor

Post by Mike Urbanski »

As a new perspective racer the Briggs Animal has several things that appeal to me on the surface. But I don't know near enough about it. So I am looking for input, good, bad, or indifferent.

Cost is probably the first, most important thing.

Being able to work on all of my kart is important to me, w/o spending a fortune on tools.

And hopefully with lower turning rpm's less wear and tear or breakage.

All input is appreciated.

Mike
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Re: Briggs Animal Motor

Post by Yaani-Mai Gaddy »

Mike,

I'm not sure but I think the Animal class that is being started at NTK is a spec class with a sealed engine so no one will be able to work on them except the authorized service center, which I beleive is KAM Karting? If they are kept stock they shouldn't need to be worked on very often. Maybe Dan Esparza or Mike Engstrom can confirm this?
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Charles Pou

Post by Charles Pou »

Hello Mike,

As I understand it, the NTK stock Animal class engine is not sealed. There is available from Briggs a Local Option 206 Animal engine that is sealed, however NTK Animal class is not using this engine.

No modifications to the engine are allowed for this class ($'s saved). For example, I understand you are not supposed to change the any jets in the carb ($'s saved). Also, there is a spec pipe and clutch ($'s saved too).

I have a kart setup for this class and plan to race from time to time after the track opens again. I am thinking it will be a fairly inexpensive, especially if we run the short track.

Hope to see you at the track. I can give you more of my opinions at that time. :-)
Mike Engstrom

Post by Mike Engstrom »

The new engines we have sold are sealed. The idea is if the seals are in place the engine shouldn't be tampered with, OEM parts replacement only.Much like the rotax, but we can't control engines coming from other sources. So for now, we just need growth and kart count! Remember the engines are to be run as they come from Briggs, there are "stock" replacement cams out there, but they are illegal for what we are trying to do. The lift and duration are different from what a stock engine has. I really think this class has great potential, and would make some very close racing. But the best thing "very affordable" even buying a new engine!
Mike Urbanski

Post by Mike Urbanski »

The only question I have now is what clutch and pipe? As it comes from Briggs is fine with me. But if something does break I can fix it with oem parts, that really appeals to me. The more I learn about this the smaller my budget seems to be. Thanks.
Mike
Last edited by Mike Urbanski on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Engstrom

Post by Mike Engstrom »

To keep costs down, a shoe clutch is required they are only $75.00. Robertson's super snake pipe is what we are using, with washer end.
James Freeman

Post by James Freeman »

All,

This has the potential to grow, as did the Rotax of the late 90's. But can we develop this into a viable, economical class? Moreover, how can it be done? One possibility is the club buy engines and lone them to club members for the year. Yes, it would be expensive, but should this idea not work, we can sell the motors at the end of the season and recouped some money. Yes, the pundits will claim it’s a waste of money, maybe yes, maybe not. This money would remain in racing and really in the club. Remember, we spend money advertising the club at various venues. This too could be viewed as advertising. Yes, advertising with an immediate return, be it small, but a return never the less. What was the return on past advertising? Who would get the free motors? Past champions maybe? The board can figure it out. Most importantly, we could have an instant big field, a field that would produce exciting economical racing and there could be a chance to grow the club.

Flame away.

Jim
Mike Urbanski

Post by Mike Urbanski »

Thanks for the info Mike. And thank you for bringing this class to my attention. No decisions made yet but definitely has my attention.

Charles I would love to hear your opinions about this class and anything racing. Being as I am new to all of this I have no opinion, just trying to learn as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Mike
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Jim,

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe rent them to racers (don't have to be members) for $25 a race (in addition to entry fee). Kind of a rent to own. When the rental equals the purchase price (about 1 race season) it is theirs. If they decide not to race anymore after several races they are not out a huge amount and the club can rent it to someone else.

It would take some book keeping to keep track of. Maybe use a card like our rookie card that lists the races they rented & the RD signature (can all be verified against race results).

It sounds like a great way to get the class started & if it doesn't work out the club is not out a whole lot & they can still sell or continue to rent the motors.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Charles Pou

Post by Charles Pou »

Sorry, I didn't know about the sealed motor. I got my engine elsewhere, but did buy the clutch and pipe from Mike at Kam Karting. I talked to Mike Engstrom, John Ray, Dan Esparza and I didn't realize there was a sealed engine requirement. I think this class is evolving as we speak.

Would someone clarify if the engine for this class is a stock Animal, Local Option 206 Animal (which is a sealed engine) or something different.

I thought it was a stock Animal which is what I have. If a Local Option 206 engine is required, I think I can get mine changed over for approx $100 (as I understand it, the main difference is the ignition and it has a seal).

Just need to know what is required and I can go from there. :-)
Mike Urbanski

Post by Mike Urbanski »

Went back and read Mike's post. Oops read that wrong. I think it would have to be the LO206 with what he said. But clarification would be great.

Thanks.
Mike
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

I checked on the specifications for this class & found out the following.

No it does not have to be sealed.

Yes it does have to be stock.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Daniel Esparza
NTK Treasurer

Post by Daniel Esparza »

Hello All,

Dan Esparza here. Since Mike Engstrom and myself are the producers of this class I will lay out the rules of the class to avoid any confusion. I have attached the Sealed Animal Class Structure flyer to this post. I will also send Mike a copy of the flyer so he can post it on his web site. If anyone would like a copy of the flyer email me at dan44t@msn.com and I will send you a .pdf copy.

The class is the Briggs & Stratton Sealed Animal Box Stock Class sponsored by Kam Karting.

The intent of this class is to offer an affordable spec engine package for the beginning or veteran karter on a level playing field with their peers. This engine is not to be modified in any way. NO machining to this class of engine will be allowed. NO blueprinting, NO porting, and no modification or changing of internal or external components. The seal on the engine must stay intact at all times and can only be replaced by KAM Karting or their authorized representative. This class will run on unleaded pump gas (no performance additives) and will be controlled either by the honor system, a pump around, electronic fuel tech or a controlled fuel point.

The following components are included with the engine package and must remain stock as they came from the manufacture:

· Sealed Briggs Animal Engine with mount
· Noram Clutch – with light or heavy shoes (any Noram spring, any number of teeth)
· Chain Guard
· Robertson Animal Pipe (can be drilled for an EGT sensor)
· Fuel pump kit & 10 feet of fuel line
· Air Filter (must be oiled with filter oil only, cannot be used dry)
· #35 chain
· 1 rear split sprocket (any number of teeth)
· Throttle cable, cable housing & cable stop
· 1 gallon of 4 Cycle Oil

The following is a list of things the racer can do to the engine:

1. Replace the spark plug.
2. Use an index washer under the spark plug.
3. Change the main jet to suit the conditions.
4. Change the oil.
5. Attach a cylinder head temperature sensor, tachometer sensor & EGT sensor.
6. Use an Outerwear filter sock over the air filter.
7. Install an overflow catch tank line to the valve breather.
8. Wrap the header with insulation tape.
9. Rebuild the carburetor and fuel pump with stock parts.

We currently have two senior and two junior classes listed on the flyer.

For more information about this class please contact: Mike Engstrom at 817-638-5278 Or Dan Esparza at 972-602-0842
Attachments
Sealed Animal Box Stock Class Structure JR 206 Option.pdf
Sealed Animal Class Structure
(141.87 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Created a 4-Cycle forum & moved topic.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393